RZT 54 deck plugging

Grassfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
My deck plugs more than it should, or more than it used to. It a 2008 RZT 54 and I’ve had it since it was new.
My parents have the Commercial Recon and that thing will hardly ever plug.

Are there any fixes for this? I’m not above welders and torches. LOL

bkeller500

Threads
are you mowing wet or damp grass? Is your grass very tall when you mow? Are you following the 1/3rd rule? Are you blades sharp? Level? pitched correctly? are yo mowing at full throttle? You can try to scrape the deck then apply a coating of ceramic wax....it won't last very long but it will ease the re-scraping process after which you can reapply it.

Grassfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
are you mowing wet or damp grass? Is your grass very tall when you mow? Are you following the 1/3rd rule? Are you blades sharp? Level? pitched correctly? are yo mowing at full throttle? You can try to scrape the deck then apply a coating of ceramic wax....it won't last very long but it will ease the re-scraping process after which you can reapply it.
Not mowing damp grass; for clarification I also farm and have made hay for my entire life. I mow the yard on the highest cutting height setting. It’s level and I’m mowing at full throttle. I’ll have to look into the pitch thing. What should that be?

Thanks

bkeller500

Threads
Not mowing damp grass; for clarification I also farm and have made hay for my entire life. I mow the yard on the highest cutting height setting. It’s level and I’m mowing at full throttle. I’ll have to look into the pitch thing. What should that be?

Thanks
check the owners manual if you have one but normally the front should be 1/4"-3/8" lower thena the rear. Measure at the blades not at the deck frame. Mowing at the highest setting may be fine.....as long as you are cutting grass that isn't too long and chocking the air flow. It doesn't matter with Hay because you rake it up and bail it all but with a lawn you are cutting and discharging and looking for even distribution. Think of it as trimming vs shaving.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks
Are you using Gator style blades?
The rear of your deck should be anywhere from 1/8” to 1/2” higher than the front and level from side to side.