RZT-42 (2010) blades will not fully disengage

bretzke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!

I have a RZT-42 / 17AE2ACG010 with a Kohler 20. Runs great, all seems to work generally. I noticed a few weeks ago that my blade does not fully disengage when I shutdown the PTO switch. It definitely turns on when I pull the PTO, but the blade still moves when the switch is off....but at 20%(partial) power. I replaced the switch, but I'm thinking it's mechanical. Searched a bunch and got hits with other mowers and most say a notch worn in the idler arm or a seized bearing...but nothing with this mower.

Any thoughts before I drop the deck and take it apart?

Thanks--

Deerlane

Threads
PTO clutch has a brake that will stop the rotation with in 3 seconds. If it is still rotating, there is a bad bearing or brake is bad in the clutch.

bretzke

Forum Newbie
Threads
PTO clutch has a brake that will stop the rotation with in 3 seconds. If it is still rotating, there is a bad bearing or brake is bad in the clutch.

Thanks Deerlane for the assistance. Please excuse my ignorance upfront.

Would this be the bearing inside the spindle assembly that drives each blade (1st link below) or is this upstream on the drive idler assembly (2nd link) or do you have to replace the whole PTO Clutch?

Parts and Diagrams for Cub Cadet 17AE2ACG010

Parts and Diagrams for Cub Cadet 17AE2ACG010

Sorry for the hand holding....

Dave

bretzke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I see the brake just above the PTO clutch. I haven't turned it on to confirm, but I see where you are talking about.

It appears that you would need to replace the PTO clutch assembly as I see no exposed bearing and the brake appears to be fixed to the clutch.

The assembly is $300...I don't mind replacing it if it is the problem, but what's the chance the problem is somewhere else? 0%? 50%?

Thanks again---

Dave

Deerlane

Threads
There is a wire plug that runs down to the PTO clutch. 6" from the clutch is the plug. Unplug it. does your blades still run, if do the bearing is bad. Replace PTO assy, no parts a viable.

bretzke

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a wire plug that runs down to the PTO clutch. 6" from the clutch is the plug. Unplug it. does your blades still run, if do the bearing is bad. Replace PTO assy, no parts a viable.

That's it then. I unplugged it and the blade continues to spin.

Thanks again for your help!