Runs with kill switch to magneto disconnected.

Doobie#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Grasshopper 226V zero turn from around 2011 with 535 hours on it. It has a B&S 724cc, 26HP twin cylinder engine model 44P977-0110-G5. I recently removed the motor and replaced the seals and gaskets (was leaking from the sump).

While I had the motor off, I cleaned the flywheel and magnetos and reassembled everything. Would not start...I only had spark if the kill switch wires were disconnected. It ran great when they were disconnected. Still, I replaced the Magnetos...same issue. When the kill switch was connected, nothing...cranked, but no spark; disconnected...Starts right up. I checked EVERY safety switch...seat, steering levers, parking brake...all functioning. I replaced the wiring harness coming off the motor (the ones that connect the fuel solenoid, magnetos and regulator) thinking that was the problem. Nope...same issue. Bottom line, I am at a loss. The only thing I didn't do is disconnect the magneto kill switch wire and check to see if I have continuity from it to the motor/frame to see if it's grounding out somewhere. I chased wires down and I found nothing bare or looking like it's grounding out. bottom line...ALL safety switches function. Runs with kills witch wires disconnected.
!!

Bertrrr

Threads
Sounds like your kill switch wire is shorted out to ground , chase it back to the ignition switch , pull it off there and test to ground I'm betting you find continuity to ground - if so just run a new wire and you should be ok

Doobie#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The electrical trouble shooting guide states "Disconnect yellow safety wire* from engine and retest. Does spark now occur at spark plug?" I do not see a yellow wire on the left side and I do not know what they are talking about. Wish there was a picture of it. To any extent I am going to try to run the wire back and see what I come up with.

Bertrrr

Threads
The ground wire to the ignition coil is how all the safeties and ignition kill make the engine die no matter the color

Doobie#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem solved, thank you. When I was bolting the crossmember that latches the seat down and covers the drive assemblies, the wire got jammed up and grounded out. Once I pulled it out and taped it, voila!!!

Doobie#1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wires got pinched between the bolt and nut.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    692 KB · Views: 4

Bertrrr

Threads
Nice