Running and starting problem(s)

atheda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman Mower with a B &S engine Model: 31070 0136-E1 001018ZD. I have recently started to have, what seems to be 2 problems. After running for about an hour and a half the motor cuts out. It seems to be under strain and stops. It cannot be restarted because the starter motor will not turn, though it takes power as shown by the ammeter.
Left to cool over night it has re-started OK. However today, the starter turned the engine but it would not start. I removed and cleaned the plug, checked gap and tested for spark. All fine. Replaced plug, turned over engine and nothing. I removed plug and wanted to test for a spark but the starter motor would not turn as above. The engine can be turned over by hand by directly turning the screen on top of the flywheel. I plan to take the blower housing off tomorrow and look for any grass build up and loose wires. Any other help/advice appreciated. I have looked at the Briggs and Stratton site. I'm just not sure if I have one or multiple problems.

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the first things I would do is take a leak-down test.

Threads
Good morning, Atheda!

This could be a couple different things; the engine could be overheating causing the magneto to fail or it could also be an issue with the valves. I suggest you check the valves and make sure they are set to the proper clearance and that they are opening and closing.

Try that and let me know how it works!

atheda

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the first things I would do is take a leak-down test.

I will try this later. I don't have the equipment and it will take me sometime to source it as I live in very rural France. Thanks for the suggestion.

atheda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning, Atheda!

This could be a couple different things; the engine could be overheating causing the magneto to fail or it could also be an issue with the valves. I suggest you check the valves and make sure they are set to the proper clearance and that they are opening and closing.

Try that and let me know how it works!

I have reviewed and reset the valve settings. It now starts. I will have to do a mow to see if that resolves it. The problem with the starter motor will not be apparent untill I've doe an hour or so work. Hopefully tomorrow am.
David