Run at Full Throttle? Pt 2

GearHead36

Threads
I've read the "Run at full throttle?" thread, but I have a couple of questions not answered there. And the thread's closed.

My general approach is that it's ok to run the engine & hydros at low speed if they're cold and not under load. Is this correct?

When I first start my zero turn, I let it run for a few seconds at idle. Then I run it at just above idle while I pull it out of the garage onto the driveway. Then I let it continue to run at just above idle while I "gear up" (get my sunglasses, hat, ear plugs, etc). That takes about a minute. I drive over to the lawn at half throttle, stop, and engage the PTO. After the clutch engages, and the engine RPM's stabilize, I go to full throttle, lower the deck, and start mowing.

Am I doing anything that would shorten the life of the engine, clutch, or hydros? I think that replacing gas powered equipment won't be possible soon, so I want to keep mine running as long as possible.

primerbulb120

Threads
Just by giving it a warmup period you're treating it better than 95% of owners would. Sounds like you have a good grasp of how to take care of it!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Just by giving it a warmup period you're treating it better than 95% of owners would. Sounds like you have a good grasp of how to take care of it!when

When moving forward or reverse, you should have the engine running at wide open throttle to have the hydraulics operating correctly. Idling isn’t going to hurt anything, but moving mower around at lower engine speeds is not the way to do it. Engines are made to run, not be babied.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
When moving forward or reverse, you should have the engine running at wide open throttle to have the hydraulics operating correctly. Idling isn’t going to hurt anything, but moving mower around at lower engine speeds is not the way to do it. Engines are made to run, not be babied.
I agree with prior info but wanted to add some feedback. The reason to run the engine at full throttle is a faster and therefor greater hydrostatic pump volume to do the work. That means the foot pedal slant will move less from neutral which drastically reduces Hydro motor wear. That said, in close quarters where it is harder to control, a slower engine speed will enhance operator ability to move more accurately.

GearHead36

Threads
So... I should run a cold engine at full throttle to move the mower out of the garage to the driveway?

closecut

Threads
Most engines are designed with a certain rpm for max efficiency and durability.Fans and pumps do not respond in a linear manner.Double speed does not double air pressure,it cubes it.Thus it is critical to maintain a desired speed for calculated air pressure.
Running at a low speed when cold does not hurt it,it gives the oil time to heat up and boil off any moisture and fuel wash down from the cold engine.You can see this moisture in the exhaust color,it is steam and sometimes water
When you notice no steam out the exhaust the engine is sufficiently warmed up.Water drips out the exhaust on cars also.(Steam, not to be confused with smoke). You can see a difference in the exhaust color when hot vs cold.
The fan's purpose is to cool the engine,so when it is cold,no damage is done at lower speed.A good practice.After warm up,go full throttle.The faster the fan turns,the cooler the engine runs,so wide open is not a problem for the engine and of all the cooling fins and screens are clean.