RTZ-50 Drive Pulley Replacement

rhuba

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had to replace the drive pulley on my 2006 RTZ-50. The original pulley had a key that part of the hub and was on top. The new pulley has a key that extends to the top of the hub but the keyway on the shaft doesn't extend to the top. I am not sure what to do with this. Has anyone run into this issue before?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well we got a problem then as the Cub Cadet RZT-50 came with Hydro Gear ZT2200 transaxles and the input shafts are splined and not keyed.

Post the mower actual model from the serial number tag and the transaxle model number (usually a 14 digit number if Hydro Gear).

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well we got a problem then as the Cub Cadet RZT-50 came with Hydro Gear ZT2200 transaxles and the input shafts are splined and not keyed.

Post the mower actual model from the serial number tag and the transaxle model number (usually a 14 digit number if Hydro Gear).
I wonder if he is referring to the engine crankshaft drive pulley that runs the hydro belt, not the pulleys on the hydros themselves.

rhuba

Forum Newbie
Threads
1698609156480.png
This is the pulley on the engine shaft. The original pulley key ended about at the arrow. The keyway on the engine shaft starts to slope at about that point.
Model: 17AA5D7P710 Pulley part number is 756-0978A(or B)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay engine pulley. Are sure that you not installing it upside down?

rhuba

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is actually my question. The "belt groove" (excuse my terminology here) is not centered on the unit. It is longer on the side with the key and as far as I can tell (I had to destroy the old pulley to get it off) the longer side was on the top nearest the engine. If I put it on with key at the bottom the "groove" is higher than I would expect.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds normal to destroy the pulley removing on a CC ZTR. Depending if complete pull it apart or just screwed up the pulley. So far I have only damaged the pulley beyound anything use able so I have always know which was the correct end.

Just give it a test fit with the drive belt installed it might be just a optics problem. I don't remember any spacer washers being used.

rhuba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I installed the pulley in the "upside-down" position and checked the path with a straight edge. The straight edge was not parallel with the belt, but the angle did not improve when I moved the pulley down to where the original was located. I put it all back together and it seems to be working. I made a couple of passes around the yard and the belt still looked good. I'll give it a full workout in a few days and I will know then if it is going to last.
Thanks to all who replied!