ROPS for GH 721D

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Anyone have measurements on the factory ROPS for a Grasshopper??? My quick tape measure once-over gave me 24" outside frame-to-outside frame at the point just behind the fender/seat where it looks as though the factory ROPS bolts up. I figured roughly 18" up then a bend back (unsure of the exact angle - help appreciated here!) and then up another 48" before crossing over & down to the other side. If any of my numbers differ from Grasshopper's stock ROPS set-up please let me know!

Another question: Has anyone built their own ROPS? I'd love to see some pics! I am seriously thinking about fabricating my own after choking on the retail price from my local GH dealer(s). I know I can do better than $315! Yikes!! I am thinking some heavy gauge 1.5" pipe that I could get bent at a local metal fab shop. I am considering upping my protection level by going to a 4-point attachment ROPS rollcage that encompasses the entire engine compartment, bolting to the rear of the frame as well as up front. Here's a quick sketch I whipped up in Windows Paint to show my concept:

t63tlc.jpg

If this home-made ROPS works, I think I'll also take a 3' x 4' piece of HDPE plastic and fab a sunshade with a couple of supports that could quickly & easily bolt & unbolt for a little more operator comfort on hot, sunny days.

Thoughts? Improvements, concerns, questions, suggestions, etc. All are welcomed!!