Rocks and lawnmower blades

aherndf

Threads
There are a few areas of my lawn when moles are making a mess. When I run over the dirt piles it sounds like I'm hurting the blade by the sound. Any thoughts? Am I?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are a few areas of my lawn when moles are making a mess. When I run over the dirt piles it sounds like I'm hurting the blade by the sound. Any thoughts? Am I?

You will have to examine the blade and see. Blades are pretty tough, the damage might be that you will have a dull blade and maybe a few nicks.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sandblasting the deck clean lol yes your fine unless the machine starts shaking a lot and get your blade sharpened often

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a cat as a pet, & are a litter scooper, that is one good mole repellant. After scooping, take the bag out to mole runner humps, & open a hole add cat waste & gently close hole.

Moles & voles don't wanna be anywhere near a critter that could eat them. I think my neighbor has my former moles & voles from last year. :laughing:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When many mole mounds are present I flatten them below blade height by running over them repeatedly before mowing. Usually they won't open the same holes again, but they will keep digging them nearby. I have many neighbors who really work hard to trap and destroy, but that effort doesn't stop them. Yes the mounds are unsightly, but worse they present a perfect soil for new weeds. But I just live with it. IMO the dirt is a blade duller and the mounds should be flattened at least. This country is ruled by moles.

graydog

Threads
I made a dozer blade for my 61" ZTR mower to scrape off the mole mounds. It sets about 1/4" lower than deck and raises up and down easily without disengaging the blade clutch. The blades never hits the mole (or gopher) mounds. It really works good. I had some more photos, but putting these on here has taken 2 hours work. The handle works a rod that operates a bell crank that operates another rod that lowers & raises the blade. It wouldn't work without the bell crank. I used existing holes to mount everything. I hate drilling holes in the mower if I don't have to.

NPErzdzm.jpg
39olhmHm.jpg

S3VTbC8m.jpg
4cgDL7fm.jpg

Attachments

• ohlxMlwm.jpg
    ohlxMlwm.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 10

Bob E

Threads
If you have a cat as a pet, & are a litter scooper, that is one good mole repellant. After scooping, take the bag out to mole runner humps, & open a hole add cat waste & gently close hole.

Moles & voles don't wanna be anywhere near a critter that could eat them. I think my neighbor has my former moles & voles from last year. :laughing:

Hmm... I wounder if dog poop would work? It seems like I always end up with a mole or two this time of year, and it's usually hot and dry, so I'm mowing around 4". My blades usually go right over their mounds.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try to the doggie-doo & see. The smell could work as the cat biz does. The moles & voles only come around because of the grubs that have hatched & are eating yer grass roots off.

I treated my lawn for grubs twice last year. This year it seems to have worked.

I mow @ 4 inch as well, but only because the grass looks so green & lush @ 4".

grasshole supreme

Forum Newbie
Threads
why don't u ask craftsman lawn predisent on Twitter? i think he will know and anyway moles are good eatin on cristmas monring!!!!!!!!

panabiker

Threads
On a somewhat related topic of grubs. Since I hardly saw any beetles last (2014) summer, I assumed that there won't be too many grubs so I didn't bother to use Grubx. I saw many more tunnels, mounts and holes since spring of this year. I haven't actively survey the grubs to know the severity of the problem. I suppose it's too late to do anything for this year?