Export thread

Riding mower.

R

ron815

I have always used a push mower, mainly for the exercise, but now I want a riding mower. That 1/2 acre is starting to kick my butt. I can't afford much over $1000.00. Have been looking at the Troy-Bilt 420cc OHV 30-Inch Premium, and wonder if you guys like it. The price is about right. Thanks.

BlazNT

BlazNT

They are fine if you have flat level ground and weight less than 150 lbs.

R

ron815

My land is pretty level, and I weigh about 180. I'm asking about the quality and reputation. I don't want to be advised by a dealer.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I am not a dealer.
They just have problems with the drive if you have hills or weight. Then the disk that runs the wheels starts slipping. So it has a good reputation for people that don't weight over 150 lbs and no hills. Lots of others have had issues with the drive system needing to be replaced with very few hours on them.

R

ron815

Thanks BlazNT. No, I wasn't calling you a dealer. I just meant that I needed advice, so I didn't have to take a dealer's word for how good a mower is. Like I mentioned, about $1,000.00 is all I can afford. Was looking for the most reliable mower for that price. After research, $1000.00 is the starting out price for most. Any suggestions are welcomed. Mostly looking for reliability. Thanks.

B

bertsmobile1

While not trying to be insulting at the price you are willing to pay you will only get rubbish that will barely be able to do the job till warranty runs out
If you want something that is durable look for an old RER with a manual gearbox and chain drive.
Good ones will still be slightly above your budget.
Realistically a top shelf self propelled mower will cost more than you want to get a ride on for, so you will not get much of a ride on.

R

ron815

Thanks bertsmobile. I figured that too. That's why I was asking about reliability. I may be able to go to $1500. but even that is the beginning price for most.

J

Jack17

Frequent http://www.searsoutlet.com/

Most of these items are floor models regular Sears stores didn't sell so they mowed them to their outlets. They come and go...not always there so you just keep an eye on it, search for it every few days and you'll find yours and within reasonable distance from where you at.

R

ron815

Thank you Jack. Looks like some good prices. Back in the day, Sears was the leader. I always thought when they stopped the catalogs and didn't compete with Walmart and Amazon, their days were numbered.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Sears announced last night they would sale the craftsman brand to Stanley black & decker. In 2 years there probably wont be a craftsman mower or small engine yard tools. They didn't make them anyway . Chain saws trimmers and blowers are pollen. Mowers are ayp I think.

R

ron815

Thanks RDA. Just saw an article about Sears on Yahoo. I think most people forgot about Sears, long ago. They did make good tools and had a good guarantee.

R

ron815

Thanks again Jack. I found a Craftsman 42" 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Fast Auto TurnTight Model 25581 at a sears outlet about 35 mi. from me. The site had several craftsman mowers. This one is a floor model with a few dents. They showed pictures, and it's got a two yr. warranty. What is the rep for this mower, if y'all know? With the delivery charges, mower, and taxes, it will probably be about $1200. I'm mostly interested in the reputation of the mower. Thanks.

J

Jack17

If unchanged Sears is going under...no doubt! Maybe Trump's tax cuts will revive it?
Craftsman brand rider is ether gonna be made by an MTD (code 247.xxxxxx) or AYP/Husqvarna (code 917.xxxxxx) and you'll always be able to cross-reference OEM parts if needed. I've got an LT1000 that is 20 years old and parts for it are plentiful!

J

Jack17

I found a Craftsman 42" 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Fast Auto TurnTight Model 25581 at a sears outlet about 35 mi. from me.

Ok, that there mower you've found is a product of Husqvarna model 917.255810 and because of the GENTRANS TRANSAXLE they've put on it I would NOT buy.
Not a big fan of vari-mech transmissions. If I were you I'd look for a single piston engine, foot operated with cruise control hydro-gear transmission.

R

ron815

I think I'm going with a rear engine mower. Now, it's a matter of brand and price. I'd rather use a push mower, but the heat, size of my lot, and my age is making it necessary to go with a riding one.

S

snorky1

watch craigs list for a top teir used rider then plan to put money into it, that way you get a great platform in your budget and you have the planned money to make it reliable, i see awesome mowers all time down here that need 500 buck put into them to make a like new 3,500 mower. often over looked are the stand behind commercial mowers with stand on dolly like a dixie chopper or hustler, i see them cheap with high hours, they have huge decks and mow sweet at high speed and turn on a dime.

R

ron815

Thanks. I ended up buy another push mower.