rider will not start

nikichi

Forum Newbie
Threads
5 yr. old craftsman mower. Model 917.28922, 21HP, briggs.
Never any problems. Started mower, cut 1/2 of the grass. About a hour later it would not start, by that I mean, when you turn the key,flywheel only turns a 1/2 revolution and stops. Replaced starter, solenoid, new battery, fuse, fresh pure gas. Checked all wires for cuts & wear, all ok.
did not check safety switches brake, seat, or key switch, cuz I don't know how to.

Can Anybody HELP ME ? niki chi

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you turn the engine all the way over by hand by turning the flywheel. Need to make sure there isn't something obstructing the pistons. If you can get it rolled pas the hard area, try turning it over again with the key. It is stops again may indicate that the valves need adjusted, or maybe the compression release has broken on the camshaft.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
5 yr. old craftsman mower. Model 917.28922, 21HP, briggs.
Never any problems. Started mower, cut 1/2 of the grass. About a hour later it would not start, by that I mean, when you turn the key,flywheel only turns a 1/2 revolution and stops. Replaced starter, solenoid, new battery, fuse, fresh pure gas. Checked all wires for cuts & wear, all ok.
did not check safety switches brake, seat, or key switch, cuz I don't know how to.

Can Anybody HELP ME ? niki chi

GAWD I wish it was mandatory for mower manufacturers to put a permanent note on a starter, solenoid, battery, gas cap, wires, break pedal, seat and every 6 inches on wiring that reads: If this dam thing won't crank ADJUST THE VALVES FIRST before spending 200-300 bucks unnecessairly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There was a time that if a customer called me on the phone and said my mower won't crank over, and just stops or kicks back without starting, I could tell it needs the valves adjusted because when I asked them the model number of the engine, and it started with 3137 it was a valve clearance problem.