Export thread

Review of my Honda HRX217HYA

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

As almost all of you know, I have a Honda HRX217HYA mower that I absolutely love. I bought it in July 2012. It is the K3 version of the mower. I am going to give you a detailed review of this mower so when I recommend this mower in the future I can just put a link to this thread.
HRX217HYA.jpg 2.jpg

Let's start out with the engine on this mower. It has the GCV190 engine (190cc's). This engine is super powerful, and is the only mower by Honda with this engine! I own an HRR mower with the 160cc engine and it is no match for the more powerful engine. This mower can power through tall grass, while the HRR would bog down and die. This mower is surprisingly quite, too, which is a relief in residential neighborhoods. It also is very fuel-efficient.
GCV190 engine.jpg

Now...the mower deck. It is made from NeXite, a composite material used in car bumpers. It is super durable, and grass tends not to stick to it. And if it does, it won't make the mower bog down just because there is grass under the deck.
twin blade.jpg

This mower has the VersaMow System with an adjustable Clip Director. This takes the place of a mulch plug. You can move the lever from bagging to mulching or anywhere in between, whatever fits the grass condition. With this mower you can mulch, bag, rear-discharge, or shred leaves. I think the Clip Director is a great feature to the mower. Sometimes after you finish mowing you look and there is some grass behind the Clip Director even if it is in the full mulch position, but you just brush it out...it takes like two seconds.
Clip Director 2.jpg versamow.gif

Now some of the other features of this mower. The controls of this mower are great. It has the Roto-Stop blade-break clutch, which really comes in handy, especially if you bag.
Roto-Stop.jpg cruise control.jpg twin blade 2.jpg

LawnDawg84

LawnDawg84

We got a couple Honda Push Mowers, nothin as new and impressive as that one, but I will agree they make quality machines.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Just a few days left to get an extra one-year added to the factory warranty...applies to HRR and HRX models:

oneyearextendedwarrantygraphic_zps8a6234e3.jpg

D

Drewdle

Just a few days left to get an extra one-year added to the factory warranty...applies to HRR and HRX models:

oneyearextendedwarrantygraphic_zps8a6234e3.jpg

Hey Robert, does that include Canada? I purchased my HRR on the 21st. Just curious.

D

Drewdle

As almost all of you know, I have a Honda HRX217HYA mower that I absolutely love. I bought it in July 2012. It is the K3 version of the mower. I am going to give you a detailed review of this mower so when I recommend this mower in the future I can just put a link to this thread.
View attachment 14460 View attachment 14468

Let's start out with the engine on this mower. It has the GCV190 engine (190cc's). This engine is super powerful, and is the only mower by Honda with this engine! I own an HRR mower with the 160cc engine and it is no match for the more powerful engine. This mower can power through tall grass, while the HRR would bog down and die. This mower is surprisingly quite, too, which is a relief in residential neighborhoods. It also is very fuel-efficient.
View attachment 14463

Now...the mower deck. It is made from NeXite, a composite material used in car bumpers. It is super durable, and grass tends not to stick to it. And if it does, it won't make the mower bog down just because there is grass under the deck.
View attachment 14465

This mower has the VersaMow System with an adjustable Clip Director. This takes the place of a mulch plug. You can move the lever from bagging to mulching or anywhere in between, whatever fits the grass condition. With this mower you can mulch, bag, rear-discharge, or shred leaves. I think the Clip Director is a great feature to the mower. Sometimes after you finish mowing you look and there is some grass behind the Clip Director even if it is in the full mulch position, but you just brush it out...it takes like two seconds.
View attachment 14461 View attachment 14467

Now some of the other features of this mower. The controls of this mower are great. It has the Roto-Stop blade-break clutch, which really comes in handy, especially if you bag.
View attachment 14464 View attachment 14462 View attachment 14466

I was looking at one of these, and settled on an HRR. In retrospect, the VersaMow variable bagging may have made my life a bit easier. Out of curiosity, what kind of grass and how high did it have to be in order for you to bog down the GCV160? I was worried about not having "enough" power getting my machine, but I just mowed a 2-3ft mix of everything on the outer edges of a client's property, and aside from having to empty the bag every couple of minutes, I had no issues. :)

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I was looking at one of these, and settled on an HRR. In retrospect, the VersaMow variable bagging may have made my life a bit easier. Out of curiosity, what kind of grass and how high did it have to be in order for you to bog down the GCV160? I was worried about not having "enough" power getting my machine, but I just mowed a 2-3ft mix of everything on the outer edges of a client's property, and aside from having to empty the bag every couple of minutes, I had no issues. :)

My HRR would bog down in grass shorter than 2-3 feet, but I was mulching, not bagging. And it was spring so the grass was thick and lush. :rolleyes:

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hey Robert, does that include Canada? I purchased my HRR on the 21st. Just curious.

Probably not, but check with your Honda dealer there in Canada to be sure. I know the warranty systems are not the same, so I doubt promotions like this are valid outside of the USA.

Honda Power Equipment
Honda Canada

R

Ragnrok23

For anyone looking to buy one, I just bought one at Home Depot for $499 (minus 10% coupon). It's $699 online, but my store didn't have any so I went to order one (in order to use Lowes coupon) and it came up as $499 on the system, so YMMV- but good luck!

Can't wait to pick mine up next week :licking:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

For anyone looking to buy one, I just bought one at Home Depot for $499 (minus 10% coupon). It's $699 online, but my store didn't have any so I went to order one (in order to use Lowes coupon) and it came up as $499 on the system, so YMMV- but good luck!

Can't wait to pick mine up next week :licking:

Nice! Let us know how you like it! :thumbsup:

S

Sp1nn3rman

I bought a HRX217VKA in spring of 2011. It has the composite deck also. I was a little wary that it may crack or be damaged by gas spills, but it has proven to be very tough. It has a life time warranty if something does damage it but I believe it will outlast a steel or aluminum deck. I like that grass does not stick to the deck also. The one pull starting is not just a come on, it rarely takes two pulls to start it. All in all it is a great mower.

L

lambs

I just bought an HRX with the smartdrive tranny, but was using a 17 year old HRB215 with the plastic deck. The deck never once caused any problems, but the tranny finally gave up the ghost. I am thinking about replacing the transmission and keeping it for a spare mower!

But I so far really like the HRX. Smart Drive takes a little getting used to, but I think it is definitely more efficient than mowing with the 2 speed HRB. I intuitively slow down and then realize I could go faster on the straight sections, so I push it a little harder. It rolls well too without the Smart Drive. Ball bearings at all four corners surely helps.

One surprise today was the HRX belched a big cloud of blue smoke on start up. But it ran great and cuts anything very well. I think the dealer went a little too far on adding that initial shot of engine oil. Will change it in a couple weeks for the first time and see if that helps. My HRB smoked a lot at start up, but it also was 17 years old. It never started on first pull though...usually on 4th pull.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I just bought an HRX with the smartdrive tranny, but was using a 17 year old HRB215 with the plastic deck. The deck never once caused any problems, but the tranny finally gave up the ghost. I am thinking about replacing the transmission and keeping it for a spare mower!

But I so far really like the HRX. Smart Drive takes a little getting used to, but I think it is definitely more efficient than mowing with the 2 speed HRB. I intuitively slow down and then realize I could go faster on the straight sections, so I push it a little harder. It rolls well too without the Smart Drive. Ball bearings at all four corners surely helps.

One surprise today was the HRX belched a big cloud of blue smoke on start up. But it ran great and cuts anything very well. I think the dealer went a little too far on adding that initial shot of engine oil. Will change it in a couple weeks for the first time and see if that helps. My HRB smoked a lot at start up, but it also was 17 years old. It never started on first pull though...usually on 4th pull.

Continue to keep us posted! :smile:

L

lambs

I will try and keep you posted. I did speak to the dealer this week, and they thought it might just need to seat the rings properly. They asked that I keep an eye on it and bring it in if it doesn't improve. They're a great dealer, also servicing my Stihl saws, and I trust them. That's why I bought the mower from them. Heck, it was even at the HD price.

Giblet

Giblet

I have a 20 year old HR215 and when I filled the oil to the full mark on the dip stick, it would bellow out white smoke for the first two minutes until she warmed up. This happened since day one. But then, many years ago, I started filling the oil half way on the dip stick, and haven't seen smoke since. My two cents...

H

hadiona

Great job that's a good review.

GRUMBLEBUM

GRUMBLEBUM

I have owned a Honda HR 21 self drive unit for almost 25 years !!@
other than a few services and then some blade sharpening .. Never a care, never a problem and always starts 1st or at worst 2nd time@!
They just make the BEST MOWERS IN THE WORLD!!

P

pleer

I just bought this mower 3 weeks ago and love it. I have many garden beds with bark mulch. Just set the versa system on full bag and go around the edges without any clippings dropped on the mulch bed. When I am off the mulch area,I lean down and switch to full mulch and off in an instant, happily mulching along. The cut is beautiful w/o observable mulch left behind. Once you use the self propel hydrostatic system, you won't want to go back to other types. I can slow down using the clutch going down a gradual bank and pull clamp back to go up the hill never touching the speed adjuster. Works like a dream. This mower is well worth the extra cost just from a convenience stance alone yet alone the quality. I didn't buy the HZA because this mower starts on first pull and doesn't need electric start.

P

Penzzz

Do any of you know whether the Honda dealer version of this mower is different than the Home Depot version of this mower?

Thanks!

Carscw

Carscw

Do any of you know whether the Honda dealer version of this mower is different than the Home Depot version of this mower? Thanks!

Same model built in the same place by the same people.
It is the same.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Do any of you know whether the Honda dealer version of this mower is different than the Home Depot version of this mower?

Thanks!

Same model built in the same place by the same people.
It is the same.

You just get better service from a dealer if you have a problem with it!

P

Penzzz

You just get better service from a dealer if you have a problem with it!

Thanks guys, the reason I ask is when I visited a John Deere dealership for parts (bought mower there) they always asked. They claimed the same model sold thru big box stores was built with different parts. Could have been BS I guess.

Carscw

Carscw

Thanks guys, the reason I ask is when I visited a John Deere dealership for parts (bought mower there) they always asked. They claimed the same model sold thru big box stores was built with different parts. Could have been BS I guess.

If it was not made the same they could not sell it as the same model number.

That's like ford saying we only build the cars right for our best dealers.

Buy a mower at a dealer and use it for two weeks and bring it back saying I don't like take it back. Haha they going to tell you to leave. Home Depot will take it back

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Buy a mower at a dealer and use it for two weeks and bring it back saying I don't like take it back. Haha they going to tell you to leave. Home Depot will take it back

I was able to return my Billy Goat HomePro 34 to my dealer, but that was just because I REALLY didn't like it, and they understood. I got all $1600 back. :redface:

P

Penzzz

OK Honda team, my new mower sits in the back of my minivan. Purchased at Home Depot, Honda package label says it's Model HRX2174HYA. Still the exact same mower as HRX217HYA? I hate to by such a skeptic, but since the Home Depot price is $100 below Honda's MSRP, I can't help but wonder if it's a cheapened model. I plan to contact Honda before unloading from the van.

Carscw

Carscw

Is this the same as Honda's own HRX217HXA? The specs are identical but Home Depot's is $100 less. What's missing?
Asked by Jay about GCV190 21 in. Nexite Deck Blade Stop System Cruise Control Gas Mower on November 27, 2011
Answer this question
2 answers
Jay
Centerville, Ohio
November 28, 2011
After posting this question I called Honda. The Home Depot models are exactly the same as the ones sold by Honda dealers (lawn equipment retailers). The Honda rep said that it is illegal for any company to require that everyone sell their products at the same price. Home Depot buys in larger volume and can afford to sell at a lower price. Very smart. I'll be buying my Honda mower next Spring from Home Depot. And for the past number of years Honda has been extending the warranty by one year for mowers bought and registered between March 1st and May 31st. Also note that you're not beholden to Home Depot for service just because you bought your mower there; you can go to any authorized Honda service center for both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repairs.

shacky

shacky

Is this the same as Honda's own HRX217HXA?

Not sure what other differences there are but one is auto choke on HYA.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

OK Honda team, my new mower sits in the back of my minivan. Purchased at Home Depot, Honda package label says it's Model HRX2174HYA. Still the exact same mower as HRX217HYA? I hate to by such a skeptic, but since the Home Depot price is $100 below Honda's MSRP, I can't help but wonder if it's a cheapened model. I plan to contact Honda before unloading from the van.

To answer your first question, there are no differences between the HRX217HYA and the HRX2174HYA. The "4" just shows what update of the HYA it is. When the label just says HRX217HYA, it's just the general model number.

B

beamo

I just bought a Honda HRX from a LOCAL dealer. I can't see getting service from my neighbor on a mower I wouldn't buy from him. If I were him, I wouldn't service a Home Depot mower. What's the difference spread over 10-15 years...that's how long they last. Buy local help your neighbor. Mr. A. Blank doesn't need another football team or private island, but your neighbor's kid might need braces. It just seems right.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Not sure what other differences there are but one is auto choke on HYA.

HXA = manual choke, discontinued model
HYA = autochoke, current production model

J

J-D-H

Hi-

I recently bought your exact model mower -- yesterday! Having only mowed our lawn with it for a few minutes so far, I obviously have almost no experience with it yet. However I did notice one slight irritation -- dust collection on the outside of the mower deck. It was amazing to see how much dust it picked up in so short a time! Presumably this is because the deck is some type of plastic? I spoke with another owner, his does the same thing, so he has been treating his deck with an anti-static spray. This might have been an okay fix, except he finds he needs to do this before EACH mowing! Do you know if anyone has come up with a better solution for this problem? Thanks.......

John

T

TLAR640

I just received my HRX217HYA today. My initial inspection sparked a question. Being here at work I have not started it yet, but after pushing the yellow button and moving the blade lever to the handlebar, when I release the bar, the yellow button does not pop back up on its own. Is this normal? Maybe only an issue when the engine is not running? Thanks! TLAR640

robert@honda

robert@honda

I just received my HRX217HYA today. My initial inspection sparked a question. Being here at work I have not started it yet, but after pushing the yellow button and moving the blade lever to the handlebar, when I release the bar, the yellow button does not pop back up on its own. Is this normal? Maybe only an issue when the engine is not running? Thanks! TLAR640

The yellow button (technically called the "ratchet push rod") on top of the blade control lever is spring-loaded, and should extend when the lever is fully released.

When the blade control lever is fully released, can you press down on the yellow button and does it pop back up when you let go? If so, the spring is probably okay. If not, the button could be binding in its slot or the spring that extends the button has come loose or is not installed correctly.

The yellow button will stay locked down when the blade control lever is held against the handlebar. When you release the lever, the button should pop out / extend.

The yellow button should operate as described with the engine ON or OFF, does not matter.

Check the highlighted parts:
handlebarhrx_zps3f0347af.jpg

T

TLAR640

Thanks for the diagram. The spring is attached, but the button must be binding. I have to press kinda hard to get it to go down, and then help it return by pushing from underneath when the lever is extended. I will investigate further when I get it home.

J

J-D-H

Having left a message in this thread a few weeks ago about the plastic housing of the HRX217HYA collecting dust/dirt, I now find I have a far worse problem -- BAD surging. The mower starts okay, but whether cold or totally warmed up, it surges or hunts terribly. And even once warm, it will quit if you try to to pull it back to idle. The only cure is to engage the blade -- the instant the blade brake clutch bale is pushed forward, the engine runs perfectly. You can then mow for 30 min.s, etc., but the instant the blade is stopped, the bad surging starts again. Neither calling Honda in Georgia nor calling the local dealer were of much help -- no one could say if this is likely to be a minor setting adjustment or something more major. Meanwhile, web searches have turned up many, many complaints about surging, and especially about the automatic-choke which many don't like. So I now wonder whether I have made a huge mistake by buying this mower. Time to borrow someone's truck and take this brand new (less than 45 min run-time) machine back for service.....

John

T

TLAR640

To follow up on my yellow button issue, after a better look last night I think the handle sustained an impact during shipping and has a ding right at the lock lever pivot. After some bending and a little lube, the ratchet push rod works properly most of the time. Both the blade and drive levers were quite stiff, but have loosened up after 1.7 hours of use this morning. :thumbsup:

So far, I really like this mower. I ran out of fuel after 65 minutes as opposed to 95 with my GCV160 powered mower, but I never have to slow down for a thick or tall grass..

Also, can I turn reasonable corners (90 degree, moderate speed) without releasing the drive lever or is that hard on the trans.?

N

NickD

I just purchased a HRX217VKA from Home Depot with free shipping to my door. Wanted a self propelled mower, 75 years old with a hilly yard. Ha, hate to admit it, but getting old.

Kicked around a Craftsman for $360 with a 190 engine, but old mower is a Honda and has been 100% reliable, and my son has a similar 8 year old Honda with the dual blades, and says its great for picking up debris.

Reason why I am here, just downloaded the operating manual and was disappointed Honda did not include the parts breakdown or other repair information that always use to be included with an appliance of this type with the purchase. My four year old Troy Built snowthrower came this way and sure needed it for major repairs.

But I see Honda wants 35 bucks for this shop manual, sounds kind of steep, these things are not that complicated, but the manual is helpful for proper adjustment. Am an old retired automotive engineer, been repairing my stuff for the last 60 years.

As a tip from an old timer, only use top tier 91 Octane ethanol free gas in my small engines and leave the tank full over the long winter months so moisture cannot accumulate and never had problems. Feel it crazy with these new things not to have a drain on the tank like they use to and tell you to run the engine dry. Also an old pilot, we always left our planes with full tanks, an FAA regulation so moisture would not build up.

And always use Mobile One oil, especially in an air cooled engine, has a much greater temperature breakdown point. Have to use 91 octane, because in central Wisconsin, the only way I can buy ethanol free gas. Cost about 25 cents extra a gallon, but sure worth the grief that ethanol causes.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Also, can I turn reasonable corners (90 degree, moderate speed) without releasing the drive lever or is that hard on the trans.?

Not at all...you should see what the engineers do to these mowers during testing. :eek: The hydrostatic transmission is bulletproof, and should last for the life of the mower.

Y

yukon202

3 years on any major complaint? I have a 3 year old HRC 216 for commercial mowing and need a back up mower and looking at this model and a new HRC216. Tks

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

3 years on any major complaint? I have a 3 year old HRC 216 for commercial mowing and need a back up mower and looking at this model and a new HRC216. Tks

Still no major complaints. I still use the 3 year old one on many lawns, as well as the newer one. The newer one I think needs the throttle cable adjusted, because you have to put it past the fast speed to get it to drive idle at the right speed, but other than that they have been flawless. Never "broken down" on me; the only thing it had to be taken in to be fixed was when I broke the handle. My fault.

T

TLAR640

My HRX now has 86 hours (yes, I keep track) and has not skipped a beat. It continues to be a pleasure to use. :thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My HRX now has 86 hours (yes, I keep track) and has not skipped a beat. It continues to be a pleasure to use. :thumbsup:

Good to hear you have good things to say about it! I wish I put an hour meter on mine....sure would be nice to be certain of the number of hours my HRX's have.

W

woiim

I am new here and would like to add my comments on this mower. I am in Australia and have just purchased the Honda HRX2175HYA. I have only used it twice but have found it to be extremely easy to start. The mowers self propelling speeds are ideal for me to adjust as I am 65 and not in the best of condition. Each time I have had to mow which was weekly, it was after rain and the mulcher didnt falter and produce a lovely finish to my couch lawn. Overall I am extremely pleased with this mower

robert@honda

robert@honda

I am new here and would like to add my comments on this mower. I am in Australia ....a lovely finish to my couch lawn.

Welcome!

Help us Yanks understand, what is a "couch lawn?"

Also, the HRX217HXA is a USA-spec model. Is your mower an HXA, or an Australian "HYU" model?

26107872766_bba4196b80_o.png

Carscw

Carscw

Couch lawn is a full sun grass. Hates any shade. It's one of the cheapest of grass. Needs plenty of water.

W

woiim

Welcome!

Help us Yanks understand, what is a "couch lawn?"

Also, the HRX217HXA is a USA-spec model. Is your mower an HXA, or an Australian "HYU" model?

26107872766_bba4196b80_o.png

Sorry yes the HYU is the one I have

W

woiim

Couch lawn is a full sun grass. Hates any shade. It's one of the cheapest of grass. Needs plenty of water.

Yes 90% of Australian lawns are couch due to dry hot weather, mine is called winter green which handles our mediocre winters.

E

evident

Well thanks to this review I upsold myself from buying the VKA model to a brand new HRX217(5)HYA. Briefly mowed the front yard yesterday and it's fast! provides a much nicer cut than my 16 year old troy bilt.

J

JBrzoz00

I've been wringing my hands on what new mower to buy and after reading about this mower I think I'm sold.

I'm an electrician and I know any good tool costs good $ but is well worth it in the long run.

T

tencrore

Well thanks to this review I upsold myself from buying the VKA model to a brand new HRX217(5)HYA. Briefly mowed the front yard yesterday and it's fast! provides a much nicer cut than my 16 year old troy bilt.

Bought the VKA and after reading so many positive reviews on the HYA, returned the unopened VKA for the HYA! Installed an hour meter and side guards on it yesterday. Planning on firing it up for the first time this afternoon!

robert@honda

robert@honda

Bought the VKA and after reading so many positive reviews on the HYA, returned the unopened VKA for the HYA! Installed an hour meter and side guards on it yesterday. Planning on firing it up for the first time this afternoon!

Be sure to register your new mower purchase with Honda, and get +1 year of factory warranty (that would make it SIX years for your new HRX). To register, either

(a) fill out and mail the registration card that's in the box

or

(b) get the serial number off the back of the mower's deck, and go to this page:
Click here to register your new Honda online

Here's a few resources for the new Honda owner:

Shop Manuals; available in paper format only, direct from Honda via eBay or Amazon (free shipping).:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Digital Owners Manuals (free):
Honda Lawn Mower Owner's Manuals

Official Parts Look-Up Page:
Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Look-up
This is a look-up-only site; use it to get the correct part number(s), then either Google a part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use the next link to find your local dealer...

Find a Honda Dealer
Find A Honda Dealer Near You

Honda Warranty Information
Note: Any Honda dealer can provide warranty service. Does not matter if you didn't buy it from them, except some dealers might put those that did at the front of the line.

Support Videos:
Honda Support Videos
How to, set-up, operation, and maintenance tips.

Avoid the #1 Mower Service Problem:
Avoiding Fuel-Related Problems

FAQs:
Honda Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Honda Customer Relations: Can't get an issue resolved with your local dealer? Need more help, or just have a question?

—Honda Customer Relations
—4900 Marconi Drive
—Alpharetta, GA 30005
—(770) 497-6400 M-F 8:30-5:00 EST

Finally, if you'll drop me a Private Message with a mailing address, and I'll send you a few Honda stickers.
lovemyhonda_zps0f2c5f05.jpg

J

JBrzoz00

Awesome machine !! Very pleased with my new HYA

S

SalukiJim

Robert

Does the extension to the warranty still apply? Receiving my new HRX217HYA tomorrow...

Jim

robert@honda

robert@honda

Robert

Does the extension to the warranty still apply? Receiving my new HRX217HYA tomorrow...

Jim

Hey Jim:

Sorry, but the promo period expired at the end of May. You'll get the standard 60 month warranty on your new HRX. Thanks for choosing Honda!

S

SalukiJim

Robert

Thanks again. I have to say, your replies on these threads have helped a lot.

Jim

S

SalukiJim

Here it is, in all its beauty! My brand new HRX217HYA.

• Less than 5 minutes from opening the box to ready-to-run
  • Started first pull (of course)
  • This thing is QUIET
  • Too wet to mow today - it thunderstormed - but I was able to run it and test all the basics

20160706_173146.jpg

Snapperfreak

Snapperfreak

Ahhh that is beautiful. Congrats on the new awesome Honda! Almost don't want to get it dirty! Almost. Yep you'll really enjoy mowing with that.

R

rash3d

2 things i like about Honda
fuel efficiency
great engine

R

robnav

Likes: Powerful cut with no bogging when mulching; bagging convenient able to keep engine running when emptying; ability to switch bag to mulch on the fly; one pull start; able to set drive speed.

Dislikes/nuisances: Governor surges when blade is not engaged... cannot drop throttle to slow when emptying bag or engine will stall.

Mower is only in second season and has already had a warranty carb replacement. I love the mower but for $700 I expect it to operate per instructions... if surging is normal Honda should remove the slow throttle setting. End of this season it will be back to the dealer for another warranty investigation. I use 91 octane fuel with Stabil Marine.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Governor surges when blade is not engaged... cannot drop throttle to slow when emptying bag or engine will stall.

That is usually fixed with a PROPER throttle cable and/or governor tweak. If you do get it back to the dealer, tell them that needs to be resolved. No reason the engine should surge at idle. A absolutely clean carb and correct adjustment(s) will get you to a smooth, steady idle.

H

horsey55

New member here.I purchased one of these earlier this week from my local Honda dealer who has always taken great care of me with my previous purchases,a HRR216VKA and a HS520 snowthrower.My old mower had 5 seasons of pretty hard residential use,and basically needed minor repairs like new wheels and bearings,height adjusters,and a good tune up,but still ran and operated well.
I decided to trade it in and move up to the HRX217,it seemed to be a significant upgrade and worth it to me.Glad to be aboard,it is still in the box and I am looking forward to Spring to try it out and have a full report.Happy New Year to all!

Oh,I was going to put a coat of Race Glaze polish on at least the top side of the Nexite deck,I take that is not a bad idea?Thanks!

W

whitegs

First time mow today. Started right up and mulched like a dream. When I first start up, the blade engages with no drop in engine speed. After mowing a bit, the engine bogs down momentarily when i engage the blade then runs fine. The mower deck is clean and it happens even if I'm off the grass. It hasn't actually stalled.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Richard

H

horsey55

Update....Used for the first time yesterday,started on first pull and after a few passes the Hydrostatic Cruise Control was very intuitive and easy to get used to after 5 seasons with a Smart Drive system.Beautiful job of mulching also.
To the poster after me,I noticed the momentary drop in engine speed when you engage the blades as well.Seemed normal to me,I did not think much of it.Top notch mowing experience,nice machine.

W

whitegs

Update....Used for the first time yesterday,started on first pull and after a few passes the Hydrostatic Cruise Control was very intuitive and easy to get used to after 5 seasons with a Smart Drive system.Beautiful job of mulching also.
To the poster after me,I noticed the momentary drop in engine speed when you engage the blades as well.Seemed normal to me,I did not think much of it.Top notch mowing experience,nice machine.

I agree. Very satisfied with the mulch setting even though the grass wasn't perfectly dry. I have to use the lower cruise control setting since at age 81 I can't keep up with the faster speeds. I moved up from a Poulan Pro front wheel drive that I had to push up the slight hills in my lawn. The honda just sailed up and I just had to steer it a bit.

Richard

J

JBrzoz00

After about a year I finally got to see how well this machine bags leaves. I lowered my deck to the 2.5" position and this this sucked up leaves like a dream. Short of a large rider with huge bags or paying a company to remove your leaves this machine works great.

Blackdiamond1983

Blackdiamond1983

I have this same mower I bought a few weeks ago and i love it. Although it seems the 190cc engine isn't as powerful as some say. I killed it several times mowing some tall wet grass. As long as the grass is dry it does awsome.

F

Fibber2

I've owned my HRX217K2HMA (the electric start version) since April, 2010. I love the performance, but somewhat troubled by the reliability issues encountered. But to be fair, I do put a lot of hours on it per week with an acre+ that I enjoy doing with a walkbehind rather than my tractor. Exercise program for older men!

1) Hydrostatic tranny serviced by dealer under warranty at year 5 (oil change - cold running 'growl' and low ground speed attributed to cavitation). Replacement authorized by American Honda in year 6 as the issues returned the next season. I started hearing something odd the other night, so a little bit concerned about future costs.

2) Electric starter replaced in year 4 (or maybe 5?) due to lack of engagement (pinion not rising up worm gear). I just serviced the second unit myself last night due to the same issue.

3) Battery is expensive! Take proper care of it and it will last a long time, but be prepared for an $85 bill when it comes time. Replacements are available for less if you shop around....

4) I managed to break the handle near the end of last season. Lower right side at the pivot bolt - the weak link spot in the assembly. My property is hilly, with a lot of crazy landscaping details that require a lot of jockeying to get around. This is a near 100 lb mower, IIRC, and the handle takes a beating. I sleeved it with a piece of 1" EMT, and it seems to be holding up reasonably well. A new handle is like a $150 part. Crazy...

5) I'm on my second rear skirt / trailing shield. It has to transition from behind to under when you back up, so if you do this a lot, expect them to tear. I'll be ordering my third one soon.

6) I'll probably need wheels soon also.

7) I do either a blend of bag & mulch or discharge and mulch thanks to the Clip Director. LOVE THAT FEATURE!!! But I hate the idea of rear discharge. So I cobbed together a custom side discharge starting with a piece sold for another Honda mower. Pretty easy and very effective! Now I have my perfect combo.

S

SuperDave57

I agree. Very satisfied with the mulch setting even though the grass wasn't perfectly dry. I have to use the lower cruise control setting since at age 81 I can't keep up with the faster speeds. I moved up from a Poulan Pro front wheel drive that I had to push up the slight hills in my lawn. The honda just sailed up and I just had to steer it a bit.

Richard
I just purchased the HRX217K6VLA model that has the Smart Drive system and that's really the main problem I have with my new mower. I don't like the variable speed, have issues maintaining consistent speed, but bigger issue is with the amount of force it takes to pull this mower backwards. It's like the brakes are on while trying to pull backwards, much easier to push forward which is sad because one doesn't need to push it, it has the self-propel feature but if one needs to pull the mower backwards, you have to use brute force to get the darn thing to move!!

I've just bought the mower last week and used it for less than an hour on my small lawn. Don't know if dealer will take it back on trade or what but I'm curious about the difference in the Hydrostatic Cruise Control rather than the Smart Drive system. Does that system also cause the mower to be so hard to pull backwards? I've lived in same house for 23 years and during that time used two self-propelled Snappers that had no issues pulling backwards. Thanks for any input.

S

Scott_HRR

I just serviced my drive transmission, drive shaft bearings and seals. Obviously this allowed me to inspect the transmission, gears, etc in detail. Looks like Honda took up all possible side to side thrust in the transmission and got pretty aggressive with shimming so it IS tight to rotate. IF - everything else is really clean pulling it backwards is fine, although noticeably more resistance than pushing forward. Start getting dirt, rust etc on the wheel gears, shaft bushings or anything to add to drag and it will seem pretty hard to pull backwards. If the wheels want to skid when pulling backwards, it’s probably time for Project Honda Drive System teardown and cleaning.

Despite what Honda recommends I eliminated most if not all of the grease and oil points on the drive gears because the accumulation of grass and dirt seems like it actually creates more maintenance and accelerates wear. The only area I applied lubrication was the shaft bushings and seals caps.

I have an 80’s vintage Murray I restored that has the self drive system. It does not use a transmission and therefore pulling backwards feels no different than pushing forward. However; the Murray is like self propelling a Yugo compared to the Honda which is more like a Cadillac. The system on the Honda is also much more bullet proof.