Return spring location

senatorsfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

My mower won't move, and I noticed I have a spring that is hanging. The end that is remaining hooked up is on the parking brake / clutch mechanism. From what I can see this would be the return spring to tension back the pulley when the brake is off.

I cannot figure out where the other end of this spring goes.

Model of mower is a 13AM79GF590

PXL_20230628_170153655.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think it goes in the side frame.

senatorsfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it goes in the side frame.
Thanks, I do have a few holes available in the side frame, but they will be a pain to get to if that's actually where it goes...lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you will need to make a spring hook of some kind to stretch the spring back & fit it
You are correct that it moves the tension rm in the opposite direction that the brake moves it when you put your foot down .
That set up with the big washers to support the belt run reminds me of
some of the Troy Built branded ( made by MTD ) mowers where the brake spring anchored to a tab that was bent down from the floor.
I only remember this because I had to make some new ones & weld them back on
In any case pull the spring back and swing it in an arc
you are looking for a hole 1" to 2" past the end of the spring where the hole is slightly keyholed or has shinny wear marks around it .
A strong pencil beam torch goes a long way to finding the anchor point

senatorsfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
That set up with the big washers to support the belt run reminds me of
some of the Troy Built branded ( made by MTD ) mowers where the brake spring anchored to a tab that was bent down from the floor.
It's a White Outdoors ;)

senatorsfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to stretch it into a hole in the side frame. Thank you all for your help.