Export thread

Replaced my Speed Feed Head

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Today I decided to replace the Speed Feed head on my SRM-225 trimmer. It was the original Speed Feed head that came on the trimmer when I bought it in spring of 2012, so it has seen a lot of use. And it shows! The photo is showing the same side of the two trimmer heads....as you can see the old one has worn through almost completely!! It has served me well for the past 3.5 years.

trimmer heads.PNG

lawn mower fanatic- Yep, looks like it was ready for replacement.

How do you like that head for performance etc ?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic- Yep, looks like it was ready for replacement.

How do you like that head for performance etc ?

I really like it. I have pre-cut loops of line attached to my trimmer in case I run out in the middle of a lawn. So because of that I can resting the trimmer in around 15 to 20 seconds. Speed feed in the only head I've ever used, but I love how efficient it is.

J

jefssmith

I use them on all my trimmers. I really like them. They do wear out though and my guys seem to have a hard time learning to put the line on. They'll sneak them back on the rack and grab another one. Maruyama makes one that has a metal piece in the middle of the bump plate, but I haven't been able to retro it on any other brand.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I use them on all my trimmers. I really like them. They do wear out though and my guys seem to have a hard time learning to put the line on. They'll sneak them back on the rack and grab another one. Maruyama makes one that has a metal piece in the middle of the bump plate, but I haven't been able to retro it on any other brand.

For me restringing it is easy.
1) Line up the arrow (which if I do once I never have to do again unless I take the head apart)
2) Put line through so it's the same length coming out each side
3) Twist the head until it's the cutting length you want it.

lawn mower fanatic- That's what I was hoping to hear, sounds like a winner.. :thumbsup:

jekjr

jekjr

We have been using them for about 18 months now. Have had great success with them.

Cool, certainly hearing lots of good about them.

jekjr

jekjr

Not sure what is going on with the Speed Feed heads but on two different occasions this year I have had one that would act like it was trying to freeze up when you bumped it to advance string. Then the string would pull back inside of the head and the only way to get it out was to take it apart and start over. Not sure if it was excessive wear in the mechanism or what. Love the heads though. The work great other than this issue. Not sure how long these particular heads had run.

Carscw

Carscw

Not sure what is going on with the Speed Feed heads but on two different occasions this year I have had one that would act like it was trying to freeze up when you bumped it to advance string. Then the string would pull back inside of the head and the only way to get it out was to take it apart and start over. Not sure if it was excessive wear in the mechanism or what. Love the heads though. The work great other than this issue. Not sure how long these particular heads had run.

Did someone flip the spool?
If the spoil is in wrong it will suk the line in.

jekjr

jekjr

Hmmm I did not know that. I will have to look and see. I did not think that it would matter.

jekjr

jekjr

Apparently that was the problem we had been having was somebody disassembled it to clean it or what ever and put it back with the spool flipped. Even the guy at the dealer did not know that believe it or not.

I think I would up buying three heads. We had one last week that was doing the same thing. We disassembled it and flipped the spool and it went back to working again. The guy operating it had disassembled it because it was full of dirt and when he reassembled it apparently he put flipped it.

Carscw

Carscw

Apparently that was the problem we had been having was somebody disassembled it to clean it or what ever and put it back with the spool flipped. Even the guy at the dealer did not know that believe it or not. I think I would up buying three heads. We had one last week that was doing the same thing. We disassembled it and flipped the spool and it went back to working again. The guy operating it had disassembled it because it was full of dirt and when he reassembled it apparently he put flipped it.

They made them like this so you can put them on a curved shaft.

R

rpearlberg

I have a Echo PAS-225VP Trimmer from around 2011. Which head would fit/work best without getting tangled?

Carscw

Carscw

I have a Echo PAS-225VP Trimmer from around 2011. Which head would fit/work best without getting tangled?

The speed feed 400
Best things about them is it only takes a minute to put 20 feet of line on.
When the bottom gets wore out you only have to replace the bottom. For around $7.90

They also come with adapters to fit any brand trimmer.

R

rpearlberg

The speed feed 400
Best things about them is it only takes a minute to put 20 feet of line on.
When the bottom gets wore out you only have to replace the bottom. For around $7.90

They also come with adapters to fit any brand trimmer.

Thanks!! Wasn't sure what the difference was between that one and this one, SRM Echomatic Head Replacement Trimmer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-SRM-Echomatic-Head-Replacement-Trimmer-21560031/100328750

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Speed-Feed-400-Universal-Trimmer-Head-99944200907/204159249

:thumbsup: That Speed Feed 400 head is the Best, makes life much easier.

My neighbor has a Stihl that won't advance line, except manually. I have told him about this head, we'll see if he makes a switch.