Repair corroded terminal - Toro 106-8397 Recycler battery?

Gordon308

Threads
  • / Repair corroded terminal - Toro 106-8397 Recycler battery?
Has anyone ever tried to repair a broken/corroded battery terminal on a Toro 106-8397 battery in a Recycler walk-behind mower?

Over the years I‘ve had several corrode off because the dirt, clippings and moisture build up in that little compartment. It ticks me off because the batteries haven’t gone bad, just the darn positive terminal breaking.

I’ve contemplated soldering something on to the broken terminal, but was hesitant to get that much heat close to the battery (melting concern, not explosion).

Compact7

Threads
Got any pics?

I think it would be difficult to solder anything as strong as the original terminal. Drill a pilot hole to install a screw with metal-cutting threads. Heat the bolt up cherry red and jam it in there, LOL

I wonder if there's hard vibration or impact bouncing that's banging that battery around or stressing out the cable and terminal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which ever way you go make sure you coat the terminal with a liberal dose of di-electric grease. Will reduce the corrosion problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a similar vein to Rivets
DEcades ago I stumbled across "Liquid Electrical Tape " and now I use a 4oz can every 2 to 3 years
For crimped on battery cables , after crimping I dip the entire terminal in the Liquid Electrical Tape , let it set then peel off the area taht will be in contact with the battery & bolts
This totally seals the terminal & cable from air ( and thus water ) virtually forever
When we put in the new cattle fence I used it on all of the jumpers where the electric cable went through the strainers & gate connections
Been out in the weather & sunlight for 15 years and is still good as gold
On mowers apart from sealing off the end of battery cables I also use it on the battery terminal itself
On these I use a longer than needed coach bolt , with a wing nut
Once done up tight the whole lot is coated with the LET leaving 1" or so of the end of the bolt exposed for the purpose of jump starting and measuring voltage .
This both stops the nut from unwinding and prevents any corrosion at the battery terminals