Export thread

Removing mower blades

F

fosterlinn

I am trying to remove my mower bades from my fastrack xd 60". Having absolutely no luck. Any ideas of an easy way of doing so. thanks

T

turboawd

impact wrench works great.

G

gabowman

Initially removed mine with my 20v. impact drill and have applied anti-seize ever since.

S

SeniorCitizen

Try one of these and a socket.

1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar

T

turboawd

Try one of these and a socket.

1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar

but then you got to rig something up to keep the blade from turning.
]if you have a compressor, get an impact like this:

1/2 in. Heavy Duty Air Impact Wrench

and use a 20% off coupon from here:

Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, 20 percent off coupons, No Purchase Required coupons, toolbox coupons

or try an electric impact, though they are not as powerful.

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

S

SeniorCitizen

but then you got to rig something up to keep the blade from turning.
]if you have a compressor, get an impact like this:

1/2 in. Heavy Duty Air Impact Wrench

and use a 20% off coupon from here:

Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Database - Free coupons, 25 percent off coupons, 20 percent off coupons, No Purchase Required coupons, toolbox coupons

or try an electric impact, though they are not as powerful.

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"
So you're installing the blades with the impact? Not too good at guessing torque? The threads will eventually suffer the consequence.

Tomster

Tomster

I've been using an impact to change blades for years with no ill effects on the threads. When I see it tighten down I give it another 1/4 turn and it's done. I'm on my 4th set of blades and haven't had my sd a year!

S

SeniorCitizen

I've been using an impact to change blades for years with no ill effects on the threads. When I see it tighten down I give it another 1/4 turn and it's done. I'm on my 4th set of blades and haven't had my sd a year!

Any idea what torque is being applied?

G

gundog

Off with an impact and on with a torque wrench always. Also apply anti seize to the bolt threads as needed.

R

Rail5042

I use an impact and put them on with torque stick. White one 120 ft pounds. I got the kit which was a little expensive but worth money. Before I got it I bought new impact and could not get wheels off my truck. With the kit I never had another problem.

Tomster

Tomster

Any idea what torque is being applied?
I don't have a clue and I'm not worried. I know it's not enough to damage the threads and It's enough to hold the blade.

S

SeniorCitizen

I don't have a clue and I'm not worried. I know it's not enough to damage the threads and It's enough to hold the blade.
There was a tire shop with employees with your same attitude. I did say was because it eventually went out of business because of twisted off lug bolts.

T

turboawd

There was a tire shop with employees with your same attitude. I did say was because it eventually went out of business because of twisted off lug bolts.

you aint gonna snap a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with an impact. plus most wheel shops just use an impact to install lugnuts. rarely do you see a guy use a torque wrench. and many impacts put less torque going forward versus reverse.

G

gabowman

Being 58 yrs old and was made to cut the grass when I was a boy I'd say I have some experience with mowers. That being said....I've NEVER put a torque wrench on a spindle nut and I have never had one to come off because I left it too loose. As stated before, I use an impact drill to remove and tighten the blades and ALWAYS use anti-seize.

S

SeniorCitizen

plus most wheel shops just use an impact to install lugnuts.

They'll only do it on mine once. When a breaker bar with a 4' cheater is needed to take a wheel off I don't go back to idiots.

T

turboawd

They'll only do it on mine once. When a breaker bar with a 4' cheater is needed to take a wheel off I don't go back to idiots.

better than being loose and your wheel falling off :confused2:

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

... an' there is always that mighty Interwebs as a backstop for owned silliness, hey :frown:

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

better than being loose and your wheel falling off :confused2:

... I can hear you have never had stressed wheel studs let go, at speed.
I wish you never have to be there to control a >3tonne payload whilst your
front nearside skips out in front of the vehicle.... showing it's brand new
shiny tread.

Life gets very interesting very quickly :tongue::tongue:

As others have tried to air, there is fixed (to) and there is tite. Pros know the difference
and why :/

KK

Tomster

Tomster

... an' there is always that mighty Interwebs as a backstop for owned silliness, hey :frown:

Huh?

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Check out my response to <turboawd>...that may help.

KK

R

RustyBoy

I think the torque stick is the best idea. How long is your torque stick? Bought a 120 ft. lbs. 1/2" drive that is 8 1/2" with shallow socket attached. Not enough room under my mower for my impact wrench with jack at max height. I'm using an electric impact driver that has a max torque of 235 lbs. Any suggestions?

Tomster

Tomster

I have literally changed the blades (new or re-sparpened) on my Raptor 15-20 times in the 2 years I've owned it and have used an impact wrench every time. I am pretty mechanically inclined and understand the force that a light duty impact wrench can put on a bolt and threads. There is sufficient bolt length and the threads are coarse enough that unless you hammer it for an extended amount of time you will not weaken the threads. Also, Harbor Freight sells for $99.99 a mower lift that works great on my Raptor 54. This lift allows access to the underside of the deck so that you can clean the deck or easily change the blades, no matter which way you choose. Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-lawn-mower-atv-lift-60395.html

S

SeniorCitizen

I think the torque stick is the best idea. How long is your torque stick? Bought a 120 ft. lbs. 1/2" drive that is 8 1/2" with shallow socket attached. Not enough room under my mower for my impact wrench with jack at max height. I'm using an electric impact driver that has a max torque of 235 lbs. Any suggestions?
Remove and run them back with your impact until the nut touches then do a final torque by hand using the by guess and by golly method or use a torque wrench until the by guess and by golly comes with experience.

Those completing the torque with the impact will eventually be replacing the shaft just as the automotive tire changer replaces lug bolts for the irate customer.

I torqued enough Waukesha head bolts ( 96 / engine ) to 600 ft. lbs. with a 4' torque wrench I could do it in my sleep without a torque setting in my younger days and maybe a dozen now as an old man.:laughing:

RhettWS

RhettWS

I bought this little digital torque wrench adapter off of Amazon (ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque). Pretty cool little widgit. You set the torque value you want, then the unit squawks when you reach the value. I like it because it is small. I just attach it to a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar and away I go. Below is a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYURT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomster, I like your Avatar. Looks like a really nice Jack Crevalle. Not worth a damn to eat but really fun to catch.

K

kraky

That's a pretty neat tool lots of good reviews. I'm not sure how tight blades have to be to keep them from spinning on their own but after they've been installed it seems to me they get Tighter and Tighter with use. So tight an electric impact wrench is my tool for getting them off. The extension cord type impact wrenches are pretty cheap nowadays I think you can pick them up for $30 to $40

N

neetan

S

SeniorCitizen

What's a 1" box wrench worth on a off set wrench? Really not much until I welded a 3/4" socket in it to use on my Murray and the 7/8" end does the LA-135 JD. Mine don't need 150 ft. lbs. of torque, about 60 gets it.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

I bought this little digital torque wrench adapter off of Amazon (ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2" Digital Torque). Pretty cool little widgit. You set the torque value you want, then the unit squawks when you reach the value. I like it because it is small. I just attach it to a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar and away I go. Below is a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VYURT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomster, I like your Avatar. Looks like a really nice Jack Crevalle. Not worth a damn to eat but really fun to catch.

Come on Rhett, they can be curried, sewed, ground & made into fish balls with a little chilli served with sour cream & cummin
There are a lot of ways to enjoy fish that don't make a good steak or bake.

RhettWS

RhettWS

Come on Rhett, they can be curried, sewed, ground & made into fish balls with a little chilli served with sour cream & cummin
There are a lot of ways to enjoy fish that don't make a good steak or bake.

Bert, you and I will have a thrown down over that one. :laughing: Crevalle go back in the water unless you don't know any better or are starving. Tree bark and shoe tongues can be eaten too with the ingredients you list above. Maybe I'll post my recipe for Choupique (Bowfin). Guaranteed to make a good meal out of the nastiest fish.

jekjr

jekjr

We run three Scag Tiger Cat mowers. We normally change the blades every morning and many times during the middle of the day. WE ALWAYS use a cordless impact. We do not have any problems with doing if that way.

B

bertsmobile1

Bert, you and I will have a thrown down over that one. :laughing: Crevalle go back in the water unless you don't know any better or are starving. Tree bark and shoe tongues can be eaten too with the ingredients you list above. Maybe I'll post my recipe for Choupique (Bowfin). Guaranteed to make a good meal out of the nastiest fish.

Funny thing with seafood.
The ones that are the most beneficial to eat are the ones that taste the worst.
Being of basically English extraction I only knew 3 ways to eat fish,
baked, stuffed if you feeling exotic
Fried deep in heavy thick batter or shallow in oil
Grilled.
naturally they were all over cooked to death.
I then became friendly with some migrants from around the Mediteranian and realised that eating fish was not a punishment :laughing:
We had a bay frontage but the most common fish was estuary mullet , a greasy tough fleshed fish with muddy taste, I hated them but we ate it at least once a week as it was essentially free.
Then Con showed me how to smoke them & a whole new world opened up.
Some Somali employees showed me a dozen ways to eat Garfish, which we only ever used for bait.
Then the Vietnamese lad we hired was magic. They throw nothing back and every part of every fish is eaten one way or another.
He thought he was in heaven when we went down the back & came up with a dozen fish in a bit under an hour.
He was a rubbish courier but I kept him on because his family had become good friends with my aged parents so he stayed on till the bitter end.
Living 80 miles from the sea now days , fish is about the only thing I miss.
And being brought up on fish still wet with sea water I just can not bring myself to buy "fresh" fish knowing that they will be at least a week old, frozen on the trawler , thawed then sold as "fresh".:thumbdown:

RhettWS

RhettWS

And being brought up on fish still wet with sea water I just can not bring myself to buy "fresh" fish knowing that they will be at least a week old, frozen on the trawler , thawed then sold as "fresh".:thumbdown:

I hear you brother. We're the same way. I never purchase "fresh fish" from the store. If I can smell it, it is not fresh.