Export thread

Red needle seal. Which direction?

D

DarthMoose74

Replacing a needles and seat in an engine that did not have one. The red needle seat, which direction does it face? Flat side to the needle or the side with the grove? Cant find this info or a diagram anywhere.

BlazNT

BlazNT

The side that has a groove for a flat head screwdriver goes towards the needle. The only way to install it.

R

Rivets

If you are talking about the red float needle seat, used on Briggs carbs, the grooved side goes toward the carb body and the flat side toward the needle.

D

DarthMoose74

The side that has a groove for a flat head screwdriver goes towards the needle. The only way to install it.

Not that kind of groove, it is circular and rubber. Not a slot and brass. But thank you.

R

Rivets

I’m confused, are you talking about the seat which come in Briggs kit number 398188? If not what seat are you asking about?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Model number of engine so we can see what you are talking about. My previous response was incorrect as I was thinking of older engines.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

The groove side goes down...... All Briggs are the same like that ~!~!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

He's talking about the seat that comes in the 498260 Kit..... Those are common seats... You can buy just the seat and needle also....

398188 Yes that's the seat and needle he's putting in......

R

Rivets

If that is the case, see post #3.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

If that is the case, see post #3.
Yep you were correct Rivets ~!~!

D

DarthMoose74

398188 is the red seat I am talking about. Flat side or circle groove side towards the needle.

I

ILENGINE

flat side toward needle.

Boobala

Boobala

HOLEY MOLEY ! ...... Which Which, is Which ..???

K

kwgerloff

Groove side down. The groove side faces the carburetor body. The flat side faces the needle. You can use the flat side of a 3/16th drill bit to install the seat.

34 years of working on small engines . i know a little but not everything.

D

DarthMoose74

So everyone seems to say flat side to needle and circle groove towards carb body.

If that is the case, it is good I asked you all, the B&S online help rep said the opposite. LOL