Rectifier on a JD LA135 LE

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would anyone know where the rectifier is located on a John Deere LA135 LE ?

xp14629

Threads
It should be bolted to the black engine shroud with a few wires coming out the bottom. Hard to miss if you have seen a small engine regulator before.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It should be bolted to the black engine shroud with a few wires coming out the bottom. Hard to miss if you have seen a small engine regulator before.
Thanks XP. I've had the shroud off a few times and didn't remember seeing it but if I get time in my busy schedule (retired :biggrin:) I'll try getting a few pics of things in that area to maybe assist you in pointing me in the right direction.

I'm having the feeling the box store John Deere (purchased from a dealer) tractors are very different from the older John Deere tractors.

xp14629

Threads
Sorry, I just looked at one at work and I was wrong. It is a small square box bolted to the steel shroud behind the left cylinder head sitting in the seat, above the oil filter. One bolt going through the middle and a yellow and red wire coming out of it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry, I just looked at one at work and I was wrong. It is a small square box bolted to the steel shroud behind the left cylinder head sitting in the seat, above the oil filter. One bolt going through the middle and a yellow and red wire coming out of it.
Ok and thanks xp.

I'm needing to test it to determine why the voltage at the battery is the same whether the engine is running or not. I'm not too educated on these electrical systems so I may be back to ask more questions.

One thing I did notice is the lights must be DC on this one since the ignition switch has a lights position and they do work with the engine dead as opposed to others I've seen that are AC lights and only work directly off of the alternator when the engine is running.

xp14629

Threads
You should have a wire going to the battery or starter. That one should be 12 volts with the engine off. With it running it should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc. If that is not correct then check the single or double wires that come from under the engine shroud. (They go to the stator under the flywheel.) They will be AC voltage. It should read over 28 volts AC on the single or 28 volts AC on each wire if it is a double setup. If that test good, take a spare piece of wire and touch the negative battery terminal and the regulator housing to check for a bad ground. If it sparks you have a grounding issue. Do all these test with the engine half to full throttle.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are checking it out Off the engine...
You can use an ohm meter: Measure it forward & reverse Just like any full wave bridge rectifier... Only difference is the case is the common for both the AC and the DC ... :smile:KennyV