Export thread

Recommended blade bolt pressure

A

Averse

I am going to be getting a 60" RSD later this week and I have a couple questions about the blades/deck.

1. Do I need an air wrench/compressor to remove and install the blade bolts?

2. If so, is there a recommended tightening pressure to install them?

I'm looking at air compressors for a number of reasons and this is one of them.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

NO.....You do not need all that jazz!I'm using a manual 20" socket handle and things are smooth.The online site does list the proper torque.(Better buy a torque wrench)I changed to mulching blades once I got my grass to a reasonable height.I do suggest you buy yourself a mower lift,I use one from Harbor Freight.

A

Averse

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on buying a lift from Harbor Freight.

I was also considering buying a set of mulching blades. Do you like how they perform with your mower? What kind did you go with?

Fish

Fish

Yes, buy a compressor and an impact wrench, you will thank me later..... Probably sooner than you think.

How do you air up tires now? Hand pump?

A

Averse

Yes, buy a compressor and an impact wrench, you will thank me later..... Probably sooner than you think.

How do you air up tires now? Hand pump?

I pump up tires at the gas station currently. That (along with a few odds and ends) is the other reason I was thinking about buying a compressor.

My next question then is how do I know if the compressor will be strong enough to get me the proper torque on the blade nut? I am looking at a used Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon compressor on Craigslist. Not sure on the power rating of it and neither is the seller.

Ric

Ric

I am going to be getting a 60" RSD later this week and I have a couple questions about the blades/deck.

1. Do I need an air wrench/compressor to remove and install the blade bolts?

2. If so, is there a recommended tightening pressure to install them?

I'm looking at air compressors for a number of reasons and this is one of them.

NO.....You do not need all that jazz as was said but it sure is nice and saves a lot of time. Nice thing about the compressor is you really don't have to worry about a torque wrench you can just set the air on the compressor and leave it alone, and with the nicer air guns they all have settings you can use also. As far as the recommended torque goes your best bet is to look it up in the manual that comes with your mower because there different for different mowers.

I pump up tires at the gas station currently. That (along with a few odds and ends) is the other reason I was thinking about buying a compressor.

My next question then is how do I know if the compressor will be strong enough to get me the proper torque on the blade nut? I am looking at a used Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon compressor on Craigslist. Not sure on the power rating of it and neither is the seller.

You really don't need anything that big for a mower, one of those 2hp 6gallon tank Stanly Bostitch works well and there reasonably cheap at lowes. They will pump up to 150lbs and that's more than most impact guns will use or take and there oil free so there's no messing around just plug it in and your on your way.

Fish

Fish

You would want to look at how quick it gets to 90-100 psi, as that is what most tools are set to run on. The compressor will kick on when it drops to a certain psi, and shut of at a certain high psi. If you get just a regular $40ish or so 1/2 impact, you won't have to worry much about over torque.

Just do a few blade tightenings on high, and at different durations, and use a hand wrench to remove, so you can get a feel of a proper torque. I do
not know of anyone that works on stuff much that uses a torque wrench on blades, as due to their rotation direction, and the hammering action from hitting rocks and sticks will tighten the blades further anyway, and you usually could use a beefy impact wrench to bring them back off.

Everybody loves to blame the guy that put the blades on last for them being over tight, but it is usually not the case.

But the benefits of having an impact far outweigh any argument anyone could contrive against one.

A

Averse

NO.....You do not need all that jazz as was said but it sure is nice and saves a lot of time. Nice thing about the compressor is you really don't have to worry about a torque wrench you can just set the air on the compressor and leave it alone, and with the nicer air guns they all have settings you can use also. As far as the recommended torque goes your best bet is to look it up in the manual that comes with your mower because there different for different mowers.

You really don't need anything that big for a mower, one of those 2hp 6gallon tank Stanly Bostitch works well and there reasonably cheap at lowes. They will pump up to 150lbs and that's more than most impact guns will use or take and there oil free so there's no messing around just plug it in and your on your way.

I figured a 20 gallon would probably be overkill for my uses. It is only $50 though so I'm thinking it may be worth it. Won't the larger tank just mean longer/more use before having to "recharge" (or refill)?

Fish

Fish

Yeah, pretty much.. But a bigger tank is nice if you use it a lot.

Ric

Ric

I figured a 20 gallon would probably be overkill for my uses. It is only $50 though so I'm thinking it may be worth it. Won't the larger tank just mean longer/more use before having to "recharge" (or refill)?

Not necessarily with a 20 gallon. Depend on how much you use it. It may give you a little longer between charges but it will also take a lot longer to fill than a smaller tank. I use the Bostitch and fill my truck tires, mower tires, change blades on all my mowers, nail guns, it will work on most anything. I just set the gauge for 75lbs to the impact gun and it does everything I need.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

I'm very happy with mulching blades thus far,I'm using Oregon G5 for my 54" RSD....I'm sure the regulars will have an opinion or two about what they think is best.

G

gabowman

I dont have an air compressor with all the air tools so I used my 20v. impact Dewalt drill to remove the blades. Before putting the blades back on I added some anti-seige to the bolts so they wont be hard to remove next time. I used the impact drill to re-install the blades. Been cutting grass since re-installing blades and no problems since first of spring.

K

Kremeneon

I'm very happy with mulching blades thus far,I'm using Oregon G5 for my 54" RSD....I'm sure the regulars will have an opinion or two about what they think is best.

The Oregon 596-808 ? I'm loving mine.

P

pfunk

I recently purchased a 60" RSD and the dealer I bought from threw in the mulching kit for free. The dealer told me to be prepared to mow my grass twice a week during the summer months with the mulching kit. I have an Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 in. impact wrench that I used to remove the bolts from the spindles holding on the blade. It delivers up-to 780 foot lbs of torque so I did not want to use that to tighten down the spindle bolts to re-attach the mower blades. I used a torque wrench and tightened bolts into spindle to 118 foot pounds as recommended in my manual.

I've been using the mulch kit for 2 months to mow about an acre of healthy fescue. The problem I'm having is that the grass is not mulching completely with a single pass and is leaving a line of clippings along the right-side and left-side of the deck. I have verified that the deck is level following steps outlined in manual. I have tried going slow (~2 MPH), going fast (~6 MPH), ensuring blades are sharp but still experience the same problem. I have the deck set to cut the grass at 3.5". There have been a couple of times where I had to wait five days between mowing and I had to set the deck to 4" and then lower it down to 3.5" a couple of days later. I have measured the grass a couple of times and am not cutting more than 1/3 of the grass blade when mowing. The only way I have been able to minimize the trail of grass clippings is to mow every 2 - 3 days and mow the grass twice in opposite directions. I usually mow in the late afternoon, early evening when there is no visible dew on the grass and the grass is dry to the touch.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I talked to the dealer and have ordered a set of gator G6 blades. They should arrive next week. Hopefully that works. If not, I may be taking off the mulching kit and going back to using side discharge.

M

motoman

I doubt anyone would win a contest using an air impact wrench and estimating the torque of the tightened fastener. Human judgement is an awesome thing , but not always sufficient. If you think you can put proper torque on a fastener with a free running impact wrench, talk to the tire shop guys about overtorqued wheels, ruined brake discs, hourglass shaped studs and road side emergency flat changouts from going ape sxxx with an impact wrench. The good tire shops use torque wrenches. Applying lubricants is fine, but make allowaces for the torque. I know I know...some professionals don't have time for that stuff.

K

katit

Professionals use torque sticks on impact wrench.

M

motoman

Katik, Please tell us more about the torque sticks.

Carscw

Carscw

Katik, Please tell us more about the torque sticks.

A torque stick is like a extension you put on the impact.
When it gets to the torque it is made for it will flex.
You can get them for just about any torque.

Not as good as a torque wrench but close enough for tires and blades.

K

katit

C

clay45

I just use a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench set to 50# and pull till she slips. So far so good.

S

SeniorCitizen

I just use a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench set to 50# and pull till she slips. So far so good.

Good idea. The threads on yours will still be good when others are wondering why the nut won't tighten.

M

motoman

guys, OK new to me ...so you would need an assortment, like 30-40, 50-60 etc.. How do the pit crew guns work besides costing a lot?

edit. I just looked at HF site...damn, stay humble and learn from fellow enthusiasts... good stuff

Carscw

Carscw

I have a 15 piece set.
Ashamed to say I have only used one and not on a mower.

I just make my blades bolts tight.
I think next time I change blades I will check them with a torque wrench to see how close I am to 70

K

katit

SnapOn has them by piece, should be better than Harbor Freight junk, but one stick probably cost more than whole set from HF :) I was thinking about getting one for my cars but figured I do wheels 2-3 times a year and can do it without.

I use torque wrench on car wheels, on a mower I just get it on "good enough" with 1/2 impact. Never had any problems while doing this, but again, I did that 5 times maybe :)

Carheir

Carheir

I have a 20 gal compressor and mainly use it to pump tires but one of the main duties is to blow off the mower at the end of a mow. Gets all the grass, leaves, etc from the deck, under the seat and off the hydros. I do have an impact wrench but haven't tried it on the blades. I got a torque wrench for tighting the blades.

Fish

Fish

Dang!!!! important stuff!!!!!

M

motoman

Carheir, I like your approach as a careful homeowner. This forum is composed of many people, some who make their living with mowers. Day-in, day-out experience with negligent homeowners probably produces a kind of cynicism in some professionals, while others are very patient. This forum is educative so you have to ignore occasional smug outbursts by otherwise helpful people. Keep up the keeping- up of your equipment. motoman

Carheir

Carheir

Carheir, I like your approach as a careful homeowner. This forum is composed of many people, some who make their living with mowers. Day-in, day-out experience with negligent homeowners probably produces a kind of cynicism in some professionals, while others are very patient. This forum is educative so you have to ignore occasional smug outbursts by otherwise helpful people. Keep up the keeping- up of your equipment. motoman

Thanks, I don't sweat the trivial chit :laughing: