Rats, Rats, Rats!!

ReggieDeere

Threads
Okay so my Pa heard a noise coming from the attic of his house. We automatically assumed that this was mice, but, as it turns out it was one better. He has big stinking rats in his attic! Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of these pests? I have some mouse traps but I'm afraid the rats are too big for them to work.:frown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They make BIG mouse traps... They are Rat traps. They work well once---- then not too good ... rats are VERY smart and will not fall for the same thing twice, Good luck. The most effective means of removal is cats or snakes, but they usually don't have a way to get into attics.

rekees

Threads
Rat poison in the attic might help. Also find out how they are getting into the house and block the entrance. You definitely need to get rid of them. They will chew the isolation off of electrical circuits and that could burn the house down. If the traps and poison don't work then hire a professional exterminator.

ReggieDeere

Threads
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try the rat poison and see if they fall for it. I don't want to stick any of my cats up there and I don't think Pa wants any snakes in the attic, that will just create an entirely new problem.:wink:

Rat poison in the attic might help. Also find out how they are getting into the house and block the entrance. You definitely need to get rid of them. They will chew the isolation off of electrical circuits and that could burn the house down. If the traps and poison don't work then hire a professional exterminator.

harleyron74

Threads
Give this A try.
Get A Walkman type radio with A headphone. Find the most obnoxious music you can find and put the volume all the way up. With the headphones connected put the radio in the attic and see if the rats leave. If not try another type of music, Classical,Rap,Country,oldies,heavy metal! there bound to hate one of them. I know I do! This has worked for me at work. A lady had mice in her file cabinet but being an extreme animal lover she didn't want traps or poison used so I used the radio and they left on there own. Where I do not know but they haven't resurfaced in the building.Never tried it on rats but you have little to lose.
If you used cat's they would have to be big mean ones. Rats fight back, mice don't. My cousin Ken had an old farm cat that was tough as nails and had the scars to prove it. He would drag home squirrels,gophers,rats you name it. I expected him to drag in the neighbors dog any day! This was not A house cat. He just tolerated Ken and hated all other humans. If you tried to pet him you were lucky if he only scratched you. His teeth should have been registered as dangerous weapons.

Good Luck!
H.R..

Rooster7

Threads
I know that rap music makes me wanna leave where ever its being played! :laughing: