Export thread

Raptor Heat Shield

R

Rob45679

Installed the heat shield my dealer warrantied for the burnt spots in my grass. It came with the shield and hardware. No box or instructions. But it was a direct bolt on. Took about 3 min.

attachment.php
]
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Attachments

R

RaptorSDer

Did you show them pictures of your grass or did you just tell them? I'm not having that issue yet but would like to install the guard to prevent future problems.

R

Rob45679

I took some pics just in case. They didn't ask to see them. It was really a no hassle situation.

T

Tta197

Do you have a part number for the shield? My dealer won't honor a warranty claim so I'll have to buy it...

R

Rob45679

Do you have a part number for the shield? My dealer won't honor a warranty claim so I'll have to buy it...

I don't have the part number. I will try and get the part number from my dealer.

T

turboawd

maybe i'm missing something, but how did the exhaust burn your grass??

R

Rob45679

maybe i'm missing something, but how did the exhaust burn your grass??

I guess burned was the wrong word to use. It dehydrated the grass under the muffler where I had parked the mower. It would take a couple of days for the spot to show. The spot would green back up after a week or so.

T

turboawd

I guess burned was the wrong word to use. It dehydrated the grass under the muffler where I had parked the mower. It would take a couple of days for the spot to show. The spot would green back up after a week or so.

ah, ok.

J

jwilli2

I ordered one for my 48 SD.It does not look like the one in the picture mine has cut outs for the bypass valves.My invoice says EXC 120564 HEAT SHIELD MUFFLER if that helps. it was 39.80 plus 3.50 shipping.

R

rplc882

Just a quick question, in the very first picture there appears to be a bolt in the trailer hitch hole. Is this part of the deflector assembly? If so do you have to purchase a new type trailer hitch. I own an Raptor SD 54. Thanks

B

bricehome1

Just a quick question, in the very first picture there appears to be a bolt in the trailer hitch hole. Is this part of the deflector assembly? If so do you have to purchase a new type trailer hitch. I own an Raptor SD 54. Thanks

I was thinking the same thing.. GOod question.

J

jwilli2

I was thinking the same thing.. GOod question.

It comes with 5 bolts two on each side that use the same hole as the engine guard and one that goes through the hitch.

M

motoman

I guess you have considered the possibility that fan cooling may expect an open under side?

J

jwilli2

I guess you have considered the possibility that fan cooling may expect an open under side?
It wraps around the muffler and shields the hydros from the muffler it's open on the top.

R

Rob45679

Sadly the raptor doesn't have fans like the sd. You can't even add oil to the hydros. One thing I didn't research very well before I purchased.

R

RaptorSDer

My dealer is checking to see if he can get me the shield for free. This is a real issue and so far my only complaint with the mower. The picture below is what happened from me sitting at idle for maybe 45 seconds to open my back gate last week.

Attachments

K

Kremeneon

ok, I'm convinced. I have a couple dead spots on either side of my backyard gate and I thought they were from divoting or something. I replant, water, see shoots coming up, then it dies again. Then when mowing Monday night I hopped off and took a look at where I parked and where the spots were...

Calling my dealer today.

R

RaptorSDer

ok, I'm convinced. I have a couple dead spots on either side of my backyard gate and I thought they were from divoting or something. I replant, water, see shoots coming up, then it dies again. Then when mowing Monday night I hopped off and took a look at where I parked and where the spots were... Calling my dealer today.

I ended up contacting Hustler directly through their website to explain my issue. Within a few hours, Jack from Excel responded letting me know he had the shield already in the mail for me. Now THAT is customer service. I couldn't be more impressed.

K

Kremeneon

Dealer called me back, said that he was informed they are not giving them away and that it would be $39.something + freight.

He said the area rep or whomever he talked to emphatically stated that with the heat shield you MUST check and blow any caught grass out of it when you shut down.
Said the debris WILL catch fire from the muffler.

so... that's an improvement I guess.

F

flightco

Sadly the raptor doesn't have fans like the sd. You can't even add oil to the hydros. One thing I didn't research very well before I purchased.

True you cannot change or add oil, but when they do fail you can purchase brand new for about 260.00 each side.

A

adam73647

Having this issue on my Rapter Limited.

Contacted the dealer and he said it's a $55 part and it is not being covered under warranty.

Very displeased with Hustler, after reading many complaints over the past several years where people were getting this replaced under warranty.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Having this issue on my Rapter Limited.

Contacted the dealer and he said it's a $55 part and it is not being covered under warranty.

Very displeased with Hustler, after reading many complaints over the past several years where people were getting this replaced under warranty.

My Raptor came with the heat shield standard, already installed.

But had to order, and install myself, the rear engine guard and front LED light fixture.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Adam,

I had the same response from my dealer, yet it turns out the same dealer added heat shields to other customers later on after they referred him to my video and the Hustler Review page on Facebook.

My dealer speaks with forked tongue, Kimosabe. He took my SD in to add the washer to the clutch, however, after a week and returning my SD, I put the camera under the mower and nothing had changed including the rattle which is still there today.

So, I'm including the video link and the Facebook Hustler Review Page links so that you may review in both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDIfmYV4nvc
Hustler Turf Equipment Customer Reviews and Issues https://www.facebook.com/HustlerZeroTurn/

K

Kremeneon

There seem to be no scorching issues since installing the heat shield. I have yet to find a single piece of grass in/on it after dismounting the mower. One mow was chopping down an acre of knee-high for a neighbor which left the mower pretty well caked with grass.

He took my SD in to add the washer to the clutch, however, after a week and returning my SD, I put the camera under the mower and nothing had changed including the rattle which is still there today.

My dealer picked mine up and did the same, it still makes the rattle and the deck belt seems to flap around about as violently as it ever did.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Kreme,

Did you take a look at your clutch bolt before and after the supposed factory recall washer install? Mine definitely wasn't changed in any way is the reason it is still violent and rattling more than ever.

Thanks,

Max

K

Kremeneon

Kreme,

Did you take a look at your clutch bolt before and after the supposed factory recall washer install? Mine definitely wasn't changed in any way is the reason it is still violent and rattling more than ever.

Thanks,

Max

It did have the new washer(s) per the bulletin, but there was no effect on wobble and slamming into the clutch anchor.

mhavanti

mhavanti

That's a shame. Perhaps I should not be too harsh on the fella that has never yet done what he said he'd do or said he did if it would have done no good. lol

I have had conversations with folks that have fashioned spacers and installed them that refined the noise and shaking to almost zero. I'm going to have to put that on the modifications list for the ole SD60.

I'm considering throwing a turbo on the thing to see if I can liven it up. Just kidding.

K

Kremeneon

I have had conversations with folks that have fashioned spacers and installed them that refined the noise and shaking to almost zero. I'm going to have to put that on the modifications list for the ole SD60.
I first made a spacer out of a copper sweat fitting, figuring it could swage to shape and take the impacts without hurting the steel. quieted the machine right up. then after 4-5 mows it ejected itself, I had it zip tied around the anchor..

Then I got some thicker copper sheet, and removed the anchor, pounded the copper around it, soldered to capture, and buffed down the edges for thickness. That really did the trick, no rattle, no nothing.... though the wobble and belt flap was still there. It lasted just shy of the summer. the only way it could have come off it for the copper to be pounded into foil and fracture off at the impact points front and back.

THEN I removed the anchor again, took it to my neighbor with a welder and we built up the thickness of the anchor so it wouldn't have room to build up speed. I buffed it down to fit in the clutch slot with only a business card of space (anchor, but not bind...) so far so good, it isn't as quiet as the copper bumper, but it is quieter than OEM and the OEM >1/8" gap. it is slowly getting louder and the gap is opening. I think the steel on steel is wearing the slot in the clutch.

I'm considering throwing a turbo on the thing to see if I can liven it up. Just kidding.

I'd love to hear the mower spool up when transitioning from ankle to knee high grass ;)

M

Medic522

So I contacted Hustler about the heat shield. They told me that it isn't a warranty issue. I told them it was a design flaw, due to it happening to everyone. They "politely" said to either buy the part or not, they weren't doing anything about it. I guess spending $4200 for a mower, I should go spend another $50 to not burn my yard when I stop.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Medic,

If you bought from a dealer rather than from Lowes, try them. So far, all the folks that have had the heat shield supplied from the factory has been thru their dealership that wants to supply you service and maintain you as a customer.

Max

M

Medic522

Medic,

If you bought from a dealer rather than from Lowes, try them. So far, all the folks that have had the heat shield supplied from the factory has been thru their dealership that wants to supply you service and maintain you as a customer.

Max
Thanks for that info Max. Unfortunately my dealer was Lowes. I have found another dealer now that I plan to take my SD60 to for maintenance but I doubt he'd do anything for me about this though.
Brian

mhavanti

mhavanti

Medic,

Thought you may find this interesting. Especially ole Carsaw also.

John Deere burning grass.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/16737-z425-muffler-heat-shield-and-burnt-grass

Notice the dates on that post.

J

jlukes

I need the heat shield for my new Raptor 42. Model 935742 Serial 16117763

Is there any way to find the part number without calling my dealer. Seems like there are a bunch available.