Export thread

Racing / pulling tractor

O

Onefastmower

Hi I'm working on building 2 tractors one drag tractor and one pulling tractor has anyone ever built one of these before I have a Honda 20 horse v twin that I plan on twin turboing with two carbs using smart car turbos very small turbos only using 4 lbs boost each for the drag mower and for the pulling tractor I have a 20 hp b&s ic opposed twin that runs on alky right now the question I have is what would the best trans be for both of the tractors money is not an option as I already have two grand into the Honda and about fifteen hundred into the b&s twin I plan on building tube frames for both and using go kart steering so it will be safer at higher speeds also what size pulleys should I use and has anyone ever used dual or step pulleys before

reynoldston

reynoldston

Just seem to me you would be better off with a CVT or snowmobile style clutch for the raceing and for pulling just a pully style clutch. Now what we have found on our pulling tractors is a havey flywheel work better.

O

Onefastmower

reynoldston said:
Just seem to me you would be better off with a CVT or snowmobile style clutch for the raceing and for pulling just a pully style clutch. Now what we have found on our pulling tractors is a havey flywheel work better.

For the racing tractor I planned on running a chain type with torq converter since it is a horizontal shaft motor would that still work ? And for the pulling tractor I have the lightest fly wheel made should I replace it with a stock type it runs at 6500 rpm now all internals are aluminum the pistons are also .30 oversized

reynoldston

reynoldston

racing we are not into but pulling yes. Our tractors are full size farm tractors and one of our first place pullers has a 200 lb. flywheel. You want a heavy flywheel for pulling to keep your engine momentum up not like racing as a light flywheel for faster RPMs. Our pistons and rods are custom made and run a 12 to 1 compression.