Question about older honda recall notices

crosstalk

Threads
I got the recall work done a couple of months ago and have been using the mower so far this season. Today a roto-stop problem cropped up. It seemed like the blade was not fully engaging and smelled like something was burning. I adjusted the free play in the cable and noticed the brake plate is not returning to the completely open position when the tension is released on the cable. I haven't taken it apart yet, but can't see any reason why it is binding. The return spring seems to be in place. I also found some metal shavings near the bbc mechanism, so that's not good. Any ideas what happened and where to start fixing this? I think I have the blade clutch free play adjusted but it seems to have more free play than it should because the plate isn't returning.

impalass

Threads
That old?! My gosh, as well as Hondas are made, he shouldn't be surprised at all! When you go to your dealer, tell them there's a guy still using his HR214 mower made back in the 80s, and loves it.

I have 2 lawn boys 8237 self-propel from 1978 that i am still using.

crosstalk

Threads
I got the recall work done a couple of months ago and have been using the mower so far this season. Today a roto-stop problem cropped up. It seemed like the blade was not fully engaging and smelled like something was burning. I adjusted the free play in the cable and noticed the brake plate is not returning to the completely open position when the tension is released on the cable. I haven't taken it apart yet, but can't see any reason why it is binding. The return spring seems to be in place. I also found some metal shavings near the bbc mechanism, so that's not good. Any ideas what happened and where to start fixing this? I think I have the blade clutch free play adjusted but it seems to have more free play than it should because the plate isn't returning.

I removed the rear scroll to find the roto-stop cable had been contacting the transmission pulley. The outer sheath was destroyed. Not sure if the dealer did this when removing the end of the cable to replace the brake plate for the recall. At any rate, the cable isn't expensive so I will replace it. Is the roto-stop cable supposed to be attached somewhere to prevent it from rubbing the transmission? I seem to remember a tie or something to the drive change cable.

I am still not sure if the brake plate return spring is supposed to be returning the brake plate to the full open position without tension on the roto-stop cable.

Also the parts breakdown isn't too clear how the roto-stop cable is supposed to be attached to the handle. To remove it, I just had to hold the handle forward and remove a cotter pin, but this looks backwards according to the parts diagram.

Damaged cable (is something supposed to connect to that clip?):
t6q.jpg

Roto-stop cable connection point on handle:
u3j3.jpg

Last edited:

scott47429

Threads
im using a Honda HR 215 i didnt buy it new i have no idea how old it is but it runs like new and has shaft drive not a belt i wish i knew how old it is