Export thread

Question about 12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton

D

Dutch mower

IMG_9859.jpgIMG_9856.jpgIMG_9857.jpgIMG_9858.jpg

Hello all, I've a question about our Briggs&Stratton lawnmower. I've just purchased the mover and several functions were disconnected, so I've some questions. For instance, I can't figure out how the gas handle works. In the pictures you can see how the situation is, and that's how it was when I got the mower. Where must the gas cable be connected to?
And do I miss some parts here? The air lifter was loose and needs to be connected. But do I need some parts? I don't get it how it all works. Many thanks in advance

T

Tinkerer200

Welcome and if you would like a Service Manual (Overhaul Manual) and an Illustrated Parts list, contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

I

ILENGINE

The choke linkage. is suppose to go through the slot in the bracket to the left and stop in front of the bracket to the right. it pushes the choke closed when you advance the throttle. The white piece at the end of the throttle cable that has a screw in it. The screw is not suppose to be there and the end of the throttle cable should have a Z at the end and hook into that hole where the screw is now.

D

Dutch mower

The choke linkage. is suppose to go through the slot in the bracket to the left and stop in front of the bracket to the right. it pushes the choke closed when you advance the throttle. The white piece at the end of the throttle cable that has a screw in it. The screw is not suppose to be there and the end of the throttle cable should have a Z at the end and hook into that hole where the screw is now.

Many thanks, I'll try the things you mentioned.

S

SeniorCitizen

I suggest you start from scratch and locate a community trade school that has a small engine repair course. Take the mower to the class as your project. That will eliminate all the un-necessary nonsense mistakes in the communication and language of such a complex endeavor.

D

Dutch mower

gashendel.jpg

Ok, I'm a bit further now. I've managed to fix, the break, replaced a very old spark plug, and I got the engine started!
I have a few questions still. What is the throttle handle in my picture? Is that # 1?
I know that #2 controls the choke, right? So, what does increase the RPM in the engine?
And where do I connect this cable #3? I suppose this is the throttle cable and the choke cable (???)
Or does this engine originally had a separate choke cable?

I

ILENGINE

The throttle cable should have a Z at the end it fits in the hole that is currently occupied by the screw in the white piece of plastic also in number 3 On the back side of that white plastic piece are teeth that engage into the part that you have marked as number 2 Number 2 has a tab on the back that has a spring that also attaches to the bottom of number 1 so as the white piece moves back and forth is changes the pressure on that spring which varies the engine speed. At its most forward position pushes the linkage that is in number 2 to close the choke for starting. And then you pull back slightly on the throttle to open the choke for running.

D

Dutch mower

The throttle cable should have a Z at the end it fits in the hole that is currently occupied by the screw in the white piece of plastic also in number 3 On the back side of that white plastic piece are teeth that engage into the part that you have marked as number 2 Number 2 has a tab on the back that has a spring that also attaches to the bottom of number 1 so as the white piece moves back and forth is changes the pressure on that spring which varies the engine speed. At its most forward position pushes the linkage that is in number 2 to close the choke for starting. And then you pull back slightly on the throttle to open the choke for running.

Many thanks Ilengine, this explains a lot. The spring between number 2 and number 1 is gone, so that was confusing. But with your very clear explanation, I've something to work on tomorrow. Best regards!!

D

Dutch mower

Now I have another problem. Yesterday I could start the engine with a 12V 70A battery and the engine started with no problems. Today I bought a new battery 12 V 60A and now when I turn over the ignition key, nothing happens. The motor doesn't spin, no sound what so ever. The battery is OK because the headlights do go on. So what should I check first? Is the starter engine dead? Or what should I do now?

I

ILENGINE

Most likely problem with either the safety switch on the clutch/brake, or the pto switch or lever that engages the blades.

D

Dutch mower

Thanks! Where can I find the safety switch? Is that near the clutch? And what is the PTO switch or lever and where can I find it?

I

ILENGINE

The safety switch should be near the clutch, look for wiring going down into that area, and while moving the pedals look for the switch. The one on the pto if you have the lever type to manual engage the blades may look similar to the one on the clutch.

D

Dutch mower

You're right. I've found it! The level that engages the blades, was in a safety position. As soon as I put the level downwards, I could start the engine.
Many thanks again!

D

Dutch mower

gashendel.jpg

Thanks for all the input so far. I've bought a new throttle/choke cable. But I have one more question, what is the function of the level that is #1 in my picture? What does it do? And should it be connected with #2?

I

ILENGINE

Number 1 in your picture is the governor arm. It connects to number 2 with the governor spring. The purpose of the governor is to slow the engine down. The spring is what speeds the engine up. The two fight for position therefore you get the desired engine speed. If you look a the back side of that bracket you will something that is attached to number 2 that kind of looks like a U but not quite bent all the way. It will have a hole in it. One end of the governor spring connects in that hole. the other end of the governor spring will connect into a hole in the governor arm, number 1 in your picture. That hole will be located at the same level as the hole in the U when the throttle is positioned at full throttle. I tried to find a picture of it in the service manual but didn't find one.

Boobala

Boobala

These items may be helpful .......
click on this link , for a short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZPp3wDf0M

here's a few pics to help also..

2011-03-13_173252_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..2011-03-20_205944_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..2011-07-02_015436_12.5_briggs_vertical_linkage.jpg..1396455523390.jpg

PLEASE ...... next time please post your mower & engine make, model, & type numbers to HELP US help YOU !!

D

Dutch mower

Thanks for all the help en information guys, this helps me a lot.
Especially the pics and the link from Bobala! Many thanks.
This made it very clear to me how if works and how it needs to be connected.

Some pics from my mower. What I know, it has a Briggs&Stratton engine with 12.5 HP and it's from 1993.

The number: IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg
I do father sons jobs and we make all sorts of cool stuff together.

And this is the idea:
03_Diesel-Weasel-Lawn-Mower-Rat-Rod-Viking-Chris-Smith-Doc-Sprockets-Garage.jpg indy5.jpg

Boobala

Boobala

Well now with some numbers we can get somewhere...
Click on link below for your engine service manual...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/view

and this is just 1 place that I do business with but there are many others .. Jacks is fairly reasonable and has good delivery times

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...399999-series/289700-to-289799/289707-0130-01

But I see you are located in Fl. also.... Therefore I recommend you try dealing with (sjmparts.com) they have several distribution points
in Fl. and I get my parts the next day if I order before noon they have a flat/rate shipping fee $9.99 but it is FAST !!

http://www.sjmparts.com/

YOU will need your model number and type when ordering parts from these suppliers !!! good luck ......... Boobala..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

Dutch mower

Hello and thanks for the links. I'm from Holland but filled in Florida by mistake.

I've another question about my muffler. This how it looks like now and the machine makes a lot of noise.
uitlaatje.jpg

What am I missing? And is this the muffler? By the look at the three bolts it appears to me that there should be something attached. (?)
And what can I do to make the mower more quiet?

Boobala

Boobala

Hello and thanks for the links. I'm from Holland but filled in Florida by mistake.

I've another question about my muffler. This how it looks like now and the machine makes a lot of noise.
View attachment 31210

What am I missing? And is this the muffler? By the look at the three bolts it appears to me that there should be something attached. (?)
And what can I do to make the mower more quiet?

I dont think the 3 screws are original equipment to the muffler........... it appears it may be burned -out !
If it's really that loud .......I would purchase a new one ....... Sorry , ...I can't offer more than that ...