Quantum Edge 6.5 SPEWS oil out of dipstick/filler tube.

wallyblackburn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Quantum Edge 6.5 SPEWS oil out of dipstick/filler tube.
New guy here. Pretty experienced with car engines - small ones, not so much...
Neighbor bought an older log splitter and said I could use it to check it out. As soon as I started it and it ran for a minute, oil was seeping out from the filler tube. I turned the tube to unlock and it popped up about 3-4 inches and oil spewed out! I understand you don't run one with that open and that a splash oil system would throw a bit, but this is building a lot of pressure in crankcase.
Few places I looked said blown head gasket and/or worn out rings. Both sure seem plausible. Solutions run from replacing head gasket, to rebuild, to crank the dipstick down tight and run it until it drops! I'm gonna at least get the head off tomorrow - doesn't look that hard. But right now I'm just looking for some general guidance and wisdom.

Thanks guys!
Wally

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possible gasoline in oil crankcase, remove oil dipstick & smell for gas. Post all B&S #'s from engine: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxxx.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As stated first check oil level and see if it smells like gas. If it does the needle in the carb is not shutting off the fuel flow when the unit is not in use. Remedy, needle to replace the float needle and seat, change the oil.

wallyblackburn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys! No gas smell in oil.

So, I was getting ready to take it apart and noticed a disconnected tube behind the air breather. I have issues with mason bees getting in things like my air hose fittings and plugging them up, so I took a piece of wire and poked around in there. Sure enough, chunks of mud started falling out. I squirted some mineral spirits up there and poked some more and even got a (larva, pupa?) out. Once I was satisfied it was cleaned out, I reconnected it on back of the filter housing. It blew a lot less, but still a little. I replaced the o-ring on the dipstick with a new one and no more leak!

It still builds more pressure than I think it should, but I am pretty sure this ole girl is pretty much worn out. It's running well enough now to split some wood this season though. Will look at repowering it next year maybe.

Thanks again,
Wally