push rods ohv Briggs and Stratton intek 8hp

bluejeans

Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton ohv 8hp i/c Intek engine. These engines are well known for the valve seat falls out on exhaust side of the head, which results in a bent push rod. The engine info is; model 202412 type 0145e1. The push rod part number is 592673. The problem is the original push rod is longer than the replacement. I tried buying another one from a different shop, but i got the same thing smaller than the original. Anyone has information why the replacement push rod is smaller?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looks like they might change the tappet too. At least Partstree both parts under the same part number.

1696798672401.png

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust valves with engine cold per specs in Operators Manual.
69https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/briggs-stratton/5926735177 has been superceded to 592673 OEM B&S Part: about 6 1/2" rod length.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The op has the current superseded PN. The problem they are too short and appears they are sending now lifters with the rods. No service bulletins about this however. At least not on the dealer's Power Portal site. I found no notes anywhere on this at PD Distributors either. Apparently someone at Briggs made the change without considering the equipment that is already out in the field and did document the changes.

A few places on FleeceBay claims to have the original 695177 push rods in stock.

bluejeans

Threads
The op has the current superseded PN. The problem they are too short and appears they are sending now lifters with the rods. No service bulletins about this however. At least not on the dealer's Power Portal site. I found no notes anywhere on this at PD Distributors either. Apparently someone at Briggs made the change without considering the equipment that is already out in the field and did document the changes.

A few places on FleeceBay claims to have the original 695177 push rods in stock.

Looks like they might change the tappet too. At least Partstree both parts under the same part number.

View attachment 66958
I took the engine apart, and the tappets are the same size as the replacement ones. You would think they would make a longer tappet to compensate the push rod size. Is this going to work with a shorter push rod? what should I do?

Last edited: