PulsaJet carb question

PensFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
This was a genuine B&S kit. It had the thick manifold gasket. Not sure I got the carb to manifold bolts as tight as they need to be. Hard to get a wrench on them. I'll give it another try.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Think that is an air screw. Should be 1-1.5 turns out. Check your engine manual to be sure. Going off a weak memory LOL.

Make sure the fuel pickup tube is not cracked. Also needs to be off the bottom of the tank a smidge.

Newer carbs do not have any adjustment screws. Older ones did.

Most likely you need to boil your carb clean. Cheap hot plate in the garage for an hour. Remove all plastic and rubber parts. Reem all jets/holes with fishing line. Don't use abrasive welding tip cleaners. You will open the jets up from factory sizes.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This was a genuine B&S kit. It had the thick manifold gasket. Not sure I got the carb to manifold bolts as tight as they need to be. Hard to get a wrench on them. I'll give it another try.
Remember that is an aluminum block and manifold.

Lock washers and thread lock goo might be useful. Think 15-20 ft lbs is a plenty. Go off what is in the engine manual for torque.

I would spray the gasket with Permatex HI-Tack gasket sealer spray.
1711753892196.jpeg

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air leaks at the carb gasket are often worse at idle than at high speed because of more vacuum at idle . When it's surging push the top of the carb side ways and if there is a gasket leak the engine may die . A least it would on my 1959 ford PU and also on a new 1964 that another guy was the proud owner of .

PensFan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all of you for some great advice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the auxiliary tank, inside the main tank, does not fill properly you problem could be there. Only one way to find out, disassemble again. Engines this old have a tendency to rust out the auxiliary tank and you will no longer have the proper level of fuel there.