Mower deck PTO lever over-engages

mike64646

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a used superbronco with a 42" deck. When I rotate the PTO engage lever to start the mower deck, it goes too far and ends up against the steering column and up against the underside of the steering wheel.
I have confirmed that the (new) belt is routed correctly, and is the correct size per the owners manual. All springs are in place, and nothing appears bent or missing.

Its no fun cracking my knuckles against the lever or trying to use only the right side of the steering wheel.

Can anyone shed some light on this condition? Thanks.

afrazee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this same problem. Any updates?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not familiar with this machine, but sounds like there may be idler pulley springs that have stretched and need to be adjusted. If two people are having the same problem -- it is probably an adjustment.

Did this lever stop farther back when the unit was newer ?

Pictures of affected parts might help.

Good Luck ! :biggrin:

Lawnranger

Threads
I just bought a used superbronco with a 42" deck. When I rotate the PTO engage lever to start the mower deck, it goes too far and ends up against the steering column and up against the underside of the steering wheel.
I have confirmed that the (new) belt is routed correctly, and is the correct size per the owners manual. All springs are in place, and nothing appears bent or missing.

Its no fun cracking my knuckles against the lever or trying to use only the right side of the steering wheel.

Can anyone shed some light on this condition? Thanks.

I have the same mower and will check for a lever stop on mine or anything that would keep the lever from moving so far that it touches the steering column. Give me a little time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have had this problem in the past and found that the shift handle twisted, even though it does not look bent. Found it because the owner broke it trying to bend it back. Easy to diagnosis when we had the two parts in your hand.

Lawnranger

Threads
I opened the hood and looked down the blade engage shaft and at the bottom there is a limit stop held in by a bolt or two. Check to see if yours is present and if not that is your problem. Removing the fuel tank will give you more access but you won't have to remove the tank just to look down in there. A bright flashlight will help you to see the plate better but not totally necessary. Let me know what you find.