PTO Clutch engagement problem

brianearlanderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi gang - I'm having a problem with a cub cadet RTZ L 46. Problem is that the PTO clutch will not engage. I have done the following:
1. Ohm out the switch. Continuity is how it should be, but sometimes this will lie to you when there is a load. Switch does seem ok.
2. Ohm out the clutch. It is in spec ~ 3.5 ohms.
3. Found a bad diode - the one that absorbs the eddy current when the clutch is released.
4. Applied 12VDC directly to the clutch - it's good, and current is not excessive.
5. The problem appears to be that the white wire going to the clutch is not picking up ground. I can apply a direct ground to it with the PTO switch pulled and the clutch will kick in.
6. I have looked at the schematic, and there is a PTO relay that when energized, interrupts the ground path to the clutch. My plan is to test the relay out of circuit, and if it's good, study the schematic and see what conditions cause it to energize.

I will eventually find this, but I was hoping somebody out there would say "Hey - I've seen this one, the problem is here...

Something else - this mower has the stupid feature that won't let you mow in reverse unless you move the key, and press a button. I think that's a really stupid feature. I was thinking about just running a dedicated ground to the clutch so that the clutch stays engaged as long as the PTO switch is engaged. But, I don't want to spend all day looking for a melted wire if that's not a good idea. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The internal wiring on the relay should be marked on the outside of it
They come 2 ways
30 + 87 power off >>30 + 87a power on
30 + 87 power on >>30 + 87a power off
30 id the odd orientated terminal 87 is next to it and 87a is next to 87
So you poke your meter into the holes for the trigger wires and check that you have voltage on one & ground on the other in the running position.
Note the seat switch needs to be closed for this to happen.
If the wiring is good then the relay is bad
You can confirm this by making a short jumper with 2 male spades and make the connection 30 to 87 or 87a .