Proud owner of a brand new HRX2175VKA -

Ruckus

Threads
I was in HD last evening buying shop light bulbs and noticed several mowers with a different sale tag. They were display models that were marked down 25%. One was this (only Honda) Honda HRX2175VKA. It was 8:30 pm and the store was closing in 30 minutes. The 30 minute time frame didn't give me enough time to go home and get my pickup and be back at HD before they closed at 9:00 pm. So, I set my alarm for 5:15 am and was at the door when they opened at 6 am. Luckily, the HRX2175VKA was still sitting there waiting on me. I think I had it loaded and on my way home by 6:05 am. :)
I have been wanting to buy another Honda mower. When the Honda mower (I bought in 1999) deck rusted out so badly that I had to stop using it I purchased a new Toro Recycler with rear wheel drive. After only three years this mower became hard to start and the clutches are grinding something awful when you go forward. Anyway, I was so thankful to find this Honda mower on sale. It is just what I was hoping would come along.

My question to everyone is what is the number 5 for in the model number?
Also, can anyone tell me the likes and dislikes about this mower?
How does everyone like or dislike the Select Drive variable speed? My old Honda mower was a 3 speed.

Thank You!

Threads
I was in HD last evening buying shop light bulbs and noticed several mowers with a different sale tag. They were display models that were marked down 25%. One was this (only Honda) Honda HRX2175VKA. It was 8:30 pm and the store was closing in 30 minutes. The 30 minute time frame didn't give me enough time to go home and get my pickup and be back at HD before they closed at 9:00 pm. So, I set my alarm for 5:15 am and was at the door when they opened at 6 am. Luckily, the HRX2175VKA was still sitting there waiting on me. I think I had it loaded and on my way home by 6:05 am. :)
I have been wanting to buy another Honda mower. When the Honda mower (I bought in 1999) deck rusted out so badly that I had to stop using it I purchased a new Toro Recycler with rear wheel drive. After only three years this mower became hard to start and the clutches are grinding something awful when you go forward. Anyway, I was so thankful to find this Honda mower on sale. It is just what I was hoping would come along.

How does everyone like or dislike the Select Drive variable speed? My old Honda mower was a 3 speed.

Thank You!

I can't answer your question about the drive system, because I do not have experience with it. I have the HYA that has a different drive system. Other than the drive system, most things are the same with your mower and mine. The deck is NeXite, which is great. It won't rust, but is still heavy duty. The engine is easy to start, and the Clip Director is very nice. No mulch plug, just turn the knob, to full mulch, full bag, or anywhere in between. There will be some grass that gets past the Clip Director even when it's in the closed position, but nothing that takes more than 10 seconds to clean out. As for what the "5" means....that is the version of your mower. For example, I have two HRX217HYA's. One is the HRX2173HYA and one is the HRX2175HYA. The one is version 3 (or K3 as Honda calls it), and one is newer at version 5 (K5). So you have the newest version (K5) of the HRX217VKA.

charley95

Threads
I bought the VKA from HD in the spring of 2013 and love it. I think in the month of may only Honda has a promo. where they give you an extra year of warranty on top of the existing warranty. I had the top of the line Toro Recycler that lasted 8 yrs. and hated it. I prefer the thumb drive over the HYA drive personally, I think it gives better control in my opinion. I've noticed it mulches leaves better by pulling it backwards better than forward, I wish it had reverse drive, the leaves are really thick here in the midwest. So far it's the best mower I've ever owned.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thank You!

The "5" or sometimes noted as "K5" is a version code, and may not appear in ad materials or displays, but will always be present on the serial label on the rear of the mower deck. As of October 2015, the HRX217VKA is at the K5 version. At some point, Honda may elect to discontinue this model, or bump it to a K6 version.

The big change from the K4 to K5 is the design of the control, and the operator can use the center dial/knob to set a maximum speed point.

Ruckus

Threads
I would like to say "Thank You" to all that replied to my thread and questions. It was greatly appreciated. Thanks Again

I will ask another question of you. I was in Home Depot this evening and noticed they have put out another Honda mower for clearance at the same discount I had received which is 25% off. The Honda mower they have sitting out is a HRX2174HYA. It is priced about $100 more than my new HRX2175VKA. I have not put oil in mine or removed the tags at this point. My question to you guys is would I be better off returning my HRX2175VKA and purchasing the HRX2174HYA? The only difference I see is the speed controls are different. I am mostly concerned about durability and user friendliness. What are your opinions, please??? Thank You

Threads
I would like to say "Thank You" to all that replied to my thread and questions. It was greatly appreciated. Thanks Again

I will ask another question of you. I was in Home Depot this evening and noticed they have put out another Honda mower for clearance at the same discount I had received which is 25% off. The Honda mower they have sitting out is a HRX2174HYA. It is priced about $100 more than my new HRX2175VKA. I have not put oil in mine or removed the tags at this point. My question to you guys is would I be better off returning my HRX2175VKA and purchasing the HRX2174HYA? The only difference I see is the speed controls are different. I am mostly concerned about durability and user friendliness. What are your opinions, please??? Thank You

I know a lot of people exchange their new HRR's for a new HRX, but whether you want to go up a model in the HRX lineup is just preference. All I can say is I love my HRX217HYA's. Nothing has ever gone wrong with them that wasn't my fault. But I can't compare that with the VKA's durability because I have never used one. People that choose the VKA over the HYA say it's because they like being able to speed up and slow down easily, but you can do that with the HYA as well (Even though it's a bar you press in to achieve the speed you set the lever to, you can just not push the bar in the whole way and toggle the speed that way). So it's personal preference.

charley95

Threads
I prefer the VKA mainly because I use it in reverse a lot to mulch leaves. I use a velcro strap to hold shut off lever down while mowing to pick up sticks etc so I don't have to shut mower off. I think the speed lever gives much easier control of the mower speed. It's kind of funny my neighbor bought the HYA after he tried my VKA and he he didn't like my model at all. It's nice that the VKA starts first pull every time after emptying the bag or I would have most likely bought the HYA.

Ruckus

Threads
Thank You guys for writing back and helping with my question. Looking at the two variable speed controls I decided that I think the HYA looks sturdier and more like the control that is on an older Snapper I use at another property I own. However, I think the VKA control will work out fine with the knob to control speed and the thumb drive for more control. If my wife decides to help mow sometime I think the VKA variable speed control with the thumb drive will be easier and more user friendly for her to use, at least I hope. :)
So, I decided to keep the 5VKA and pass on the 4HYA. I hope I don't live to regret my decision.
Thanks to you guys for taking the time to respond to my questions. This forum is a great because of people like you. Thanks Again!

Threads
I prefer the VKA mainly because I use it in reverse a lot to mulch leaves. I use a velcro strap to hold shut off lever down while mowing to pick up sticks etc so I don't have to shut mower off. I think the speed lever gives much easier control of the mower speed. It's kind of funny my neighbor bought the HYA after he tried my VKA and he he didn't like my model at all. It's nice that the VKA starts first pull every time after emptying the bag or I would have most likely bought the HYA.

With the HYA you wouldn't need to worry about the mower shutting off when you pick up debris as I has the Rotostop blade brake clutch, but as you said it's always easy to start.

Threads
Thank You guys for writing back and helping with my question. Looking at the two variable speed controls I decided that I think the HYA looks sturdier and more like the control that is on an older Snapper I use at another property I own. However, I think the VKA control will work out fine with the knob to control speed and the thumb drive for more control. If my wife decides to help mow sometime I think the VKA variable speed control with the thumb drive will be easier and more user friendly for her to use, at least I hope. :)
So, I decided to keep the 5VKA and pass on the 4HYA. I hope I don't live to regret my decision.
Thanks to you guys for taking the time to respond to my questions. This forum is a great because of people like you. Thanks Again!

Let us know how you like the VKA as time goes on! :smile: