Problem with 345

rdb700

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 95 or 96 JD 345 w/ Kawasaki engine. I serviced this beginning of spring and ran fine for several times mowing. Hauled it to mow my moms lawn and it would only run about 10 min. Finally after waiting a few minutes after several times got it.
We replaced fuel pump and filter, cleaned tank and took bowl off carb- it was clean. I can keep running by shooting carb cleaner or ether in air box. We put a brand new carb on and ran fine. Again after mowing 5-6 weeks ( 1 time/week ) it does the same exact thing. I can mow about 10-15 minutes and dies and can start again but dies instantly. After waiting awhile u can start and do all over again. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it goes bad check to see if you have a good spark, and post up the engine numbers, it may well be fuel problem, but it maybe the coil going bad when hot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple check, loosen the fuel cap the next time it happens. Could be a plugged vent.

rdb700

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine info: code FD590V-B504 / FD5900V075143 Family ID SKA585V1G2RA 585 cc Manufactured 8/96.
That's all the numbers I can find on engine.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did replace gas cap.

Just asking , but if it would be coils why does it keep running by using carb cleaner/ ether?

Thanks for quick replys !

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will read the manual and get back to you, in the mean time check the valve clearances..?. and also do a compression test when hot.

Last edited:

jimallen2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you solved your problem? My brother-in-law has the same problem.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
No one has come back on it....! I do have a workshop manual on that engine.

granger3

Threads
When it dies out check to see if your fuel shutoff solenoid has power to it. If it does you might have a bad solenoid. If you do have power you might want to check your Time Delay Module.

jimallen2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
I blow through the gas line into the carb. I then removed the sediment can and there was small black pieces of what I think was the gas line in the bottom. I put it back together and the mower seems to run fine now.