Price Check - 214 with bagger and problems

smalltownguy2

Threads
My neighbor just picked up a little Simplicity machine since his JD 214 was starting to give him some speed problems. His variator has started malfunctioning. He can't seem to keep it in the speed he selects with the variable speed control lever. I'm interested in purchasing the machine from him and trying to do some of the maintenance work on the machine myself. From what I read, the variator pulley assembly seems to be a pretty hardy item, and I should be able to get it working better just by cleaning things up a bit.

He tells me that the repair job requires a part that's $300. That can't be true, can it? I'm not too familiar with JD parts, but are we not talking about the same pulley assembly here?

Reading up on this tells me that 90% of the problems people experience with the variator are just due to crud buildup on the shaft so the sheave doesn't slide correctly. Am I missing something?

What's his tractor worth in the current condition its in? It's got a rear bagger on it.

Thanks in advance....

smalltownguy2

Threads
Can anyone ID this grass catcher? It's the one I got with this mower, and I'd like to get replacement parts.

catcher.jpg