pressure plate removal kohler ch18s

bigdodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
im tearing down and rebuilding a kohler ch18s out of a toro workman 3100 and cant figure out how to get the clutch pressure plate off the crank,please help!
also would like to find somewhere to get a master rebuild kit for this engine,any help would be much appreciated!

bigdodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it figured out! there's an allen head bolt behind the pilot bearing that needs to be removed,and then a little gentle prying on both sides of the pressure plate with 2 crowbars and she popped right off! :biggrin:

chance123

Threads
I replaced one many years ago and I "think" the splined clutch disc alignment tool that you insert into the pilot brg when re installing, is the same as an early VW bug .

bigdodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the info, that part didnt even cross my mind yet,but i guess i better look into that or i'll have a table full of parts that wont do me any good!:eek:

chance123

Threads
Yes. You have to use this tool to center the clutch disc before you install and tighten the pressure plate bolts/nuts, so when you reinstall the xmission, the splines will align, and the pilot will also align.