Predator 9000 engine: fix or replace?

LKB

Threads
I recently scored a used Predator 9kw generator for next to nothing, because apparently it needed a new cylinder head. I replaced that and it runs and generates power just fine . . . but it belches white smoke like mad, and so it almost certainly needs a ring job (or worse). (I suspect it had been used on a job site where it got heavy daily use, which these engines are just not made for.)

Anyway, having watched a YT video on what’s involved in doing it, that kind of rebuild is not what I want to spend a couple of weekends learning how to do. But I can’t imagine any small engine shop would do a that kind of job for less than the cost of a new Predator 13hp engine (about $350 on sale). Thoughts on whether I should just buy a replacement engine and swap them out? Or are there folks out there who actually rebuild these?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just buy the replacement engine as they are too cheap to rebuild. IT would take several hours in a shop provided they could even get the parts. The Chinese are just dumping the engines on the USA market.

LKB

Threads
Just buy the replacement engine as they are too cheap to rebuild. IT would take several hours in a shop provided they could even get the parts. The Chinese are just dumping the engines on the USA market.
Thanks, that’s what I figured. It just runs against my grain to scrap something that can be fixed.