Possible Challenge for all you mower gods.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just realized you addressed the"mower gods"....i misposted. HEY CAJUN!!!KENNY!!! Question for you here! :biggrin:

No kidding! Talk about an ego booster!

By the way... cool find and thanks for all the pics. I'm a fan of the vintage equipment.

CajunCub

Threads
I have seen the engine & the wind-up recoil starters, never seen together as a unit with a reel mower. But, that is a real barn fresh find! Looks almost like it wants to fly:laughing:

rer

Threads
Cool old Sears:thumbsup:

CjSchan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the replies and compliments! I was also wondering what something like this is worth if it was sold.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the replies and compliments! I was also wondering what something like this is worth if it was sold.

...As much as someone will pay for it...:wink:

Don't think there's a "70's reel mower blue book".

CjSchan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great find! It's a Craftsman 18" power reel mower, model #535 81980 :tongue:

Sorry I don't know the year but it was made by Murray for Sears. Believe it or not you can still get most parts for that Tecumseh engine from the Sears parts site. But I had a real hard time identifying the actual Tecumseh engine model. The Sears model number from the shroud appears to be 143-581052, but that does not cross-check to any Tecumseh model number. Here is a link to the Tecumseh 4-cycle technician handbook - see for yourself (the chart is at the end of the PDF). The Tecumseh model number may be on or near the flywheel?

http://www.smallenginesurplus.com/service-information/Tecumseh/tecumseh-L-head-w-sears-cross-reference.pdf

How does it cut? I had a very old manual reel mower that cut the grass like a dream as long as it wasn't too long.
Thank you for the intel! It cuts well, better than my new mower actually! The only issue is it fills my shoes with grass clippings :laughing:.

mystreba

Threads
Thank you for the intel! It cuts well, better than my new mower actually! The only issue is it fills my shoes with grass clippings :laughing:.

Flip-flops, baby :cool: I split 2 cord of wood this weekend in my flip-flops!

Mini Motors

Threads
I find flip flops too restrictive.

Hey, first post, and I'm zinging 'em. I hope that flies well here. I was drawn to this forum by this thread. I have been given almost the exact mower as the original poster. Not in as good of shape as his. Mine has been in a flood. Not high enough to get to the motor, but it has trashed the reel. I hope sand blasting brings it back. And mine has a Briggs Motor, with the aforementioned wind up starter. While I agree that it would be easier to start it with a rope starter, you see so few of these wind ups that actually work(like mine), I think they're kinda cool. The exact model is 536.81140.

But all of this will be no good if I can't find wheels and tires. This unit has seen hard use, and there is a huge amount of play at the axle bolt. Without a measurement or a new part to compare to, I can't tell which is worn, the bolt or the wheel. And, of course, the tires are hard and bald.

Stan

Trcustoms719

Threads
Awesome find!
I love classic equipment!