Export thread

Please help me.... my Craftsman Eagle 1 Plus (w/tecumseh engine) wont start.

L

lsr71

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I inherited what appeared to be a practically new mower from a friend who said it had trouble starting and he wanted a new one. I decided to take it off his hands and for the last 4 weeks have tried nearly everything to get it to start. My first attempt, I had some success in getting some combustion (5 sec) and nothing more. I assumed it was a fuel delivery problem and bought a new tecumseh Carb for it. I also changed the plug, checked for spark, checked the timing key and checked the compression. The only thing else I can think of is that the mower was missing the air filter and is basically at full throttle open to the outside air. The carb doesn't appear to have a choke setting so is it possible that my air/fuel mixture is too lean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lou (Boston)

K

KennyV

Hello Lou... & WELCOME to LMF...

First check to see if it will run While you spray something flamable into the open carb ... use Ether , carb cleaner or WD40 anything that will burn in the engine even a little gasoline from a squirt can will work for this check... :smile::smile:KennyV

L

lsr71

Hello Lou... & WELCOME to LMF...

First check to see if it will run While you spray something flamable into the open carb ... use Ether , carb cleaner or WD40 anything that will burn in the engine even a little gasoline from a squirt can will work for this check... :smile::smile:KennyV

Thanks Kenny,

I've tried to put spray in a shot of some starting fluid but it seems to flood itself and give me a massive kick back when I pull the starter cord. I can usually see the fluid come out the exhaust when its not kicking back. To be honest I hadn't really inspected the new carb that I bought...I just kinda put it in assuming all the passages were clear and functioning. Was that the right thing to do?

Best Regards.

R

Rivets

Did you remove the flywheel when you checked the key. If you didn't the key may have damage which you cannot see. That is a common cause of kickback.