Piston Ring Installation

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hammer Gee Whiz I was talking the younger generation [under 25] coming online. I recently had to try to get the JD Stihl tech to repair a hedger. He couldn't do a pressure/ vac test on it. Nor could find a bad spark plug that had it dieseling. I end having to fix it for my customer out my pocket to cover the warranty. So embarrassed that was the best they had for a tech.

I have did several Stihl chainsaws in the last few years and didn't really need the tool. For the brake spring may have used one my spring hooks here. I usually make my own so they are custom made for certain work. It sorta like the custom installation wrench I made to tighten up the oil drain on the Kawasaki engines. A regular crow foot will not work.

I still working on (in my head) on a spring hook tool for a Cub Cadet ZTR drive spring that is a royal pain to get on the hook tab. Luckily I only see these once every couple years so it is not a priority here.

Since my machinist retired I got to get my own lathe now so I can continue to design and make custom tools for my job requirements. It like the PTO clutch tool I use for torquing the mounting bolt when the Double D are involved. I now need a 46mm version.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just kidding.
I have to agree with you on some of the new kids coming up unlike some of us old farts that grew up working on cars and such just don't have the mechanical background a lot of us take for granted. "Back in the day" we could work on cars and most other machinery with basic hand tools and a few specialty tools. Can't really do that today.
I have a little 4" Atlas metal lathe. I am by no means a machinist but it does come in handy making special tools and such

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes back then it was a lot easier to work on our own vehicles. I right tracking a brake problem with my truck. It electrical in nature and I think I finally pin the are of the problem. It appears I have bad electrical connection in my steering column. As when they won't engage as if the anti lock is operating I can hit my fist on the steering wheel and it clears up. Still scary as heck when you need them to working right.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Years ago i had a problem with a dodge minivan not locking up the torque converter. Problem turned out to be a stuck thermostat. Not real intuitive to find.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
StarTech: It's not just the Lawn-Boy you looked at. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any Lawn-Boys with pins on the piston rings. Nothing to prevent them from rotating.
Bert: What are "ratcheting pliers"? I've used large wire crimpers that ratcheted, but not pliers. Is this what they call Vise-Grips down in Oz?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They come in the ring compressor kit
I have 4 of them in different sizes because when you work on parallel twin engines with 360 deg cranks both pistons have to go in at the same time & tilting the barrels slightly to edge one ring in then tilting it the other way to get the corrosponding ring on the other side in generally results in a broken ring .
They are the same as the finger pinch ones but there is a pair of pliers to replace your fingers that have a stepped locking system like a hemostat because each ring covers about 5mm of bore variation . They have to lock so your hands are free to manipulate the barrels or crankshaft .

FuzzyDriver

Threads
They come in the ring compressor kit
I have 4 of them in different sizes because when you work on parallel twin engines with 360 deg cranks both pistons have to go in at the same time & tilting the barrels slightly to edge one ring in then tilting it the other way to get the corrosponding ring on the other side in generally results in a broken ring .
They are the same as the finger pinch ones but there is a pair of pliers to replace your fingers that have a stepped locking system like a hemostat because each ring covers about 5mm of bore variation . They have to lock so your hands are free to manipulate the barrels or crankshaft .
Try as I might, I can't mentally picture an engine where you have to put the pistons in at the same time. What kind of bike is this??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try as I might, I can't mentally picture an engine where you have to put the pistons in at the same time. What kind of bike is this??
Every British Twin made from 1938 through to 1999
All the Triumphs , Nortons, BSAs Enfilelds Ariels & Sunbeams were 360 twins .

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Every British Twin made from 1938 through to 1999
All the Triumphs , Nortons, BSAs Enfilelds Ariels & Sunbeams were 360 twins .
Thanks. I wasn't thinking about engines where there's no split along the crankshaft combined with cylinders that aren't separate.