Peerless Transaxle LTH2000 (2000-0069) missing gears

Threads
I have a Craftsman LT2000 with a Tecumseh Peerless transmission with gears 2 and 6 working only. The other speeds miss and grind. This is a recent development, and I need some suggestions of the possible causes. Am I looking at a lengthy tear down for a transaxle that is about to fail, or is there something I can check without having to open the case? I find it odd that 4 of the gears fail at once. Gears 2 and 6 seem solid and do not slip or have trouble on hills. Suggestions are welcome.
If I am looking at a replacement, please suggest suitable make and model. I sense this is a notorious transmission.
Thanks.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you are going to have to pull the tranny, and take a look inside. I suspect that something has gotten into one of the gears, and resulted in damage to several gears.

Threads
I think you are going to have to pull the tranny, and take a look inside. I suspect that something has gotten into one of the gears, and resulted in damage to several gears.

Thank you for your reply. I suspect that I will need to open transaxle, but have been hoping for something less. I still find it odd that 2nd gear was not taken out, and why did 1,3,4, and 5 fail. I'm looking to install a 2nd hand transmission, so that I can take this apart. Does anyone have a pdf file for the LTH2000. Can I buy replacement parts for it?

silver1

Threads
Thank you for your reply. I suspect that I will need to open transaxle, but have been hoping for something less. I still find it odd that 2nd gear was not taken out, and why did 1,3,4, and 5 fail. I'm looking to install a 2nd hand transmission, so that I can take this apart. Does anyone have a pdf file for the LTH2000. Can I buy replacement parts for it?

If you goto Youtube and lookup peerless transaxle, there are some good videos of the repair process.

Threads
If you goto Youtube and lookup peerless transaxle, there are some good videos of the repair process.

Yes, I have gone to youtube for lawn tractor repair, including transaxles.
If someone can provide a Peerless pdf or a suitable substitute, this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.