Export thread

Parking brake stuck

C

cmdatsef

The parking brake on my 2005 MTD Yard-Man mower (M/N 13AX605G755 1663693) is stuck down. The button will not release. Any ideas on how to get it up? There is no response to the brake or clutch pedal being pressed. It appears to be dragging when it runs. Please please please do not tell me my mower is junk like the last two mechanics have done who have returned my mower in pieces.

B

bertsmobile1

This is not a simple do this ....... fix.
It could be nothing more than a stick wedged underneath or a build up of debris stopping the pedal returning
or
Debris build up jambing the brake on.
or
a belt jumped off
or
a spring broken
or
or
or................
You will have to get under and have a look.
I like to lift the front up with a crane / pulley etc till the mower is sitting on it's bum so I can see everything in good clear light.
If you do that put some shrink wrap over the fuel filler hole the screw the cap back on tight and remover the battery.
Do not tip the mower on it's side as you end up with all sorts of problems depending where the oil ends up going.

If you are unsure , then get it up in the air and take some nice clear photos.
There are some on here that are really good with photos.

You can also remove the rear wheel ( right from memory ) and remove the brake.
Before you start put the brake lock on as the spring is fairly stiff & can do serious damage to fingers if the tension is suddenly released.

You undo the 2 small bolts and it pulls off as a complete unit.
Generally the outer brake pad and shim will fall out then the disc pulls off the spline to revel the rear pad.
In the piece you unbolted there will be 2 short rods they corrode and also get jambed from debris and stop the brake releasing.
Clean everything, put some dry lubricant on the spline then reassemble and finally release the brake lock.
If the pedal does not return to full height then you are looking at a clutch problem.

C

cmdatsef

This is not a simple do this ....... fix.
It could be nothing more than a stick wedged underneath or a build up of debris stopping the pedal returning
or
Debris build up jambing the brake on.
or
a belt jumped off
or
a spring broken
or
or
or................
You will have to get under and have a look.
I like to lift the front up with a crane / pulley etc till the mower is sitting on it's bum so I can see everything in good clear light.
If you do that put some shrink wrap over the fuel filler hole the screw the cap back on tight and remover the battery.
Do not tip the mower on it's side as you end up with all sorts of problems depending where the oil ends up going.

If you are unsure , then get it up in the air and take some nice clear photos.
There are some on here that are really good with photos.

You can also remove the rear wheel ( right from memory ) and remove the brake.
Before you start put the brake lock on as the spring is fairly stiff & can do serious damage to fingers if the tension is suddenly released.

You undo the 2 small bolts and it pulls off as a complete unit.
Generally the outer brake pad and shim will fall out then the disc pulls off the spline to revel the rear pad.
In the piece you unbolted there will be 2 short rods they corrode and also get jambed from debris and stop the brake releasing.
Clean everything, put some dry lubricant on the spline then reassemble and finally release the brake lock.
If the pedal does not return to full height then you are looking at a clutch problem.

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this. The mower is clean underneath, no sticks or debris. I have pulled off the brake assembly, cleaned and reassembled it. When you say to put the brake lock on, do you mean the parking brake? I can't put the parking brake on because it is stuck. It is already on. It won't release. Is there some other brake lock?

C

cmdatsef

Here is a link to a video of the stuck parking brake on the mower.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/j65iOTiRAqwIKw70zKOc9INfn56cDxvmAzNCNQgzqJH

B

bertsmobile1

The reason I asked for still photos was so we can compare it to pats books, service sheets ,look for mal alignment and for wear marks.
This is easy to do with a good clear still but near impossible with shakey hand video that is not clearly focused.
All I could take from that is the operating lever in the drivers booth does not return.
Best I could see is that the silver lever on the bottom of the brake lock might need to go towards the camera ( right when sitting on the mower ) so it rests on the green tab above.
looks like it has slipped down inside of where it should be.

Roger B

Roger B

Bert,

As I have a Yardman, I assumed the parking brakes would be the same, but I guess they aren't. My parking brake is applied by pressing the brake pedal all the way down and then moving the 'speed' lever down to the "parking brake' position. All that does is block the brake pedal from coming back up. This merely applies the brake and holds it in the 'on' position. Depressing the brake pedal and then moving the 'speed' lever up into any other position releases the brake.

In the underneath pictures, the brake rod is that black rod on the extreme left of the picture that runs all the way back to the brake itself, which is a tiny sort of 'disc' brake. Pulling on that rod is what applies the brake,

There is something here I'm not understanding. I'd like to see the parking brake control on this Yardman before I can figure out what is really going on.

Roger B

C

cmdatsef

The reason I asked for still photos was so we can compare it to pats books, service sheets ,look for mal alignment and for wear marks.
This is easy to do with a good clear still but near impossible with shakey hand video that is not clearly focused.
All I could take from that is the operating lever in the drivers booth does not return.
Best I could see is that the silver lever on the bottom of the brake lock might need to go towards the camera ( right when sitting on the mower ) so it rests on the green tab above.
looks like it has slipped down inside of where it should be.

pics atttached

Attachments

Roger B

Roger B

Yeah, this Yardman must either be much newer or much fancier than mine. I still don't understand if the actual brake is used as the 'parking brake' (like it is on my machine) and if it is what's stuck "ON", or if it is just that 'button' on the dash that I assume is what puts your parking brake on. And why aren't any of the photos taken directly at the parts in question? Even the one of the 'button' I'm assuming puts on the parking brake, was taken at an angle.

How about an explanation of how you put on the parking brake and whether or not the regular brake is utilized to provide it. Can't you just whack the damn thing with a hammer and knock it loose?

RB

B

bertsmobile1

Despite the bad angles of the photos which are still from the shakey hands video you can see the brake rod down the bottom and the parking mechanism to lock the rod which is the bright zinc plated plate that seems to be stuck.
To me it appears that it has slid down the side of the guide plate but is hard to see which means the OP will just have to wait till one of the 50 people with that exact model Yardman happens upon the thread.
Some seem to delight in providing us with an impossible challenge.

C

cmdatsef

Yeah, this Yardman must either be much newer or much fancier than mine. I still don't understand if the actual brake is used as the 'parking brake' (like it is on my machine) and if it is what's stuck "ON", or if it is just that 'button' on the dash that I assume is what puts your parking brake on. And why aren't any of the photos taken directly at the parts in question? Even the one of the 'button' I'm assuming puts on the parking brake, was taken at an angle.

How about an explanation of how you put on the parking brake and whether or not the regular brake is utilized to provide it. Can't you just whack the damn thing with a hammer and knock it loose?

RB

Thank you for your response. I will try the hammer approach.

C

cmdatsef

My deepest apologies for posting this inquiry without considering its effect on the forum members. I can see now that the stuck parking brake is probably not correlated to the performance of my mower, so the question is no longer valid or relevant. I will, of course, remove the horrific video so as to relieve anyone of the disturbing consequences of it's viewing. I can only hope the moderators will be kind enough to delete my questions so that viewers will not be confronted with the abomination of the oblique and unfocused pics that only serve to confuse, confound and vex them.

Roger B

Roger B

My deepest apologies for posting this inquiry without considering its effect on the forum members. I can see now that the stuck parking brake is probably not correlated to the performance of my mower, so the question is no longer valid or relevant. I will, of course, remove the horrific video so as to relieve anyone of the disturbing consequences of it's viewing. I can only hope the moderators will be kind enough to delete my questions so that viewers will not be confronted with the abomination of the oblique and unfocused pics that only serve to confuse, confound and vex them.

You kind consideration is greatly appreciated, for as you have ascertained, as a whole, our group is easily confused, confounded and especially vexed.. (And in the MTD rule book, Pg. 113, para: 2, line 7, it states: "Vexation, however slight, is sufficient to constitute this offense." :wink:

B

bertsmobile1

We are here to help and we enjoying helping others by which we also learn.
I do around 200 repairs a year and would be lucky to see the same machine more than once every 3 to 4 years.
I don't remember exactly what all of them look like or work like.
The brake interlock gets blown clean , checked for proper operation then lubed with some dry lithium chassis grease spray.
Thus unless one requires a repair I for one will not remember it.
You are there with the machine right in front of you.
We are thousands of miles away with nothing more to go on but what you present us with.
You give us good information and you will get good advice.
It is not a common problem or one of the 20 or so professional service technicians here would be familiar with it.

Thus we can only see what you give us to look at.
Videos are a PIA we have to view them multiple times and most people take them with their smart phones so the quality is very bad and if you are trying to see detail they are a waste of time.
I asked you for PHOTOS and from memory I also asked for them to be clear & in focus.
You have seen the real item in the flesh ( well metal actually ) so a fuzzy poorly framed photo will bring the clear real life photo to mind in your brain.
We need to see the whole of the locking lever, brake on , brake off.
From that we can work out where things are supposed to be and from that how to get them there.
We need to be able to see things like scuffed paint, wear patches, frett marks etc etc etc.
None of these are visible from your video or still from the video.
In particular the locking lever needs to be full frame so we can see both the pivot end and the locking end at the same time, brake on brake off.

We can not help you unless you help us.
And just so you know,
After you posted the video , I went to 3 different web sites, downloaded parts books and owners manuals for your mower.
I dragged out my copy of the MTD service manual to see if there were any clearer photos of the locking image that the ones you provided.
IF I wanted still from the video , I could have done that myself, in fact I did step frame through it several times before I sent the reply asking for stills.
All you could be bothered to do was to pull a few out of focus & badly framed images off the video which was not good enough in the first place.
There is a massive difference in the resolution of a video and a photo and we need the detail in the photo , not the motion of the video.
The only thing of any use in the video was the brake pedal being applied but again you only showed 1/2 of what we needed to see and shakey hands did not help.
There is a reason why movie makers spend $ 20,000 on a dolly to hold the camera and then pay 2 or 3 people to move it while another operates it.
The under mower section was a total wast of electrons as all that can be seen is glare .

Now if you want help fixing your mower do what we asked for .
If you want to storm off in a petulant frenzy then print out the replies put them on the floor, hold your breath and jump up and down on them till you are blue in the face.
My mower works. your mower does not, your decision.

willys55

willys55

give that man a cigar, for the mic has dropped

Boobala

Boobala

These type of stills is what Bert is asking for, where you can see the details, although these are not super clear they are good enough that they helped to explain a linkage problem to a fellow member.

100_3698.jpg...DSCN1963.jpg

Attachments

P

Pumper54

WOW just wow, ask for help and then get huffy.
Tom

Boobala

Boobala

Like Bert stated, OUR mowers are running, his isn't ! ...

Roger B

Roger B

Like Bert stated, OUR mowers are running, his isn't ! ...

Boo,

I 'think' "His" is a Hers.. (Try listening to the video.)

Rog

Boobala

Boobala

I think the "whatever" has moved on ... ( no video , no recent replies)

willys55

willys55

his loss

Boobala

Boobala

OR hers OR he-she's..!!