Overseeding,starter fertilizer,& winterguard

jborcheck

Threads
Ok well this fall I am going to overseed for the first time. No aeration. And I have read applying starter fertilizer is a good idea right after the seed is laid. I also want to apply winter guard fertilizer. ( I didn't last year and I'm sorry I didn't ). How long after laying the seed and starter can I lay the winter guard ? Any advice or tips? Thank you

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends on where you live. I only know about cool season grasses, such as bluegrass and fescue. These, you fertilize in September and again in November. Those are the two most important times for those grasses.

sirrobbins

Threads
Anybody else?

here in Florida, we fertilize in March, June, August and November. twice in summer due to our extreme summers and November for the winter (which means 50s here). I will throw weed n feed in between sometimes too. I just started taking care of my grandmother's property and her back yard is a disaster of weeds. I'll start a thread this fall on the "hopefully" transformed yard come next spring.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Ok well this fall I am going to overseed for the first time. No aeration. And I have read applying starter fertilizer is a good idea right after the seed is laid. I also want to apply winter guard fertilizer. ( I didn't last year and I'm sorry I didn't ). How long after laying the seed and starter can I lay the winter guard ? Any advice or tips? Thank you

We just finished spraying and fertilizing for a fall treatment. I work around Indianapolis and while you'll get a colder winter our climates aren't extremely different so I'll try to help you out. Spring and fall treatments are the same thing. I won't go into specialty herbicides because I don't know what's in your yard. Use a quality fertilizer like Lesco or Dow 28-0-5 Lesco is what we used. Then in November use a quality brand winterizer generally higher on potash and a slow release. You can also put down a gypsum to help with ph balances.

AllenPKang

Threads
You are not supposed to seed after applying weed control. Wintergaurd is mostly fertilizer. So I think it's ok to seed now.