Opinions on a 07 Hustler Sport 48

Txbrewer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just moved from a postage stamp subdivision lot to just over two acres, Love everything about it except I have to buy a new mower or have a heart attack trying to push mow it in the Texas summer heat.

Have done some reading on several sites and Hustler has a good reputation and I found a 2007 sport 48inch, the guy had an engine seal go out at year two and the motor was replaced with a Briggs and Stratton 26hp and it has 50 hours on the new motor under warranty.

Anyone have any opinions on this model or year. Any known issues I should check out above and beyond a normal check of a used mower?

Edit to add - 21 hp motor not 26. The seller emailed to correct his earlier mistake.

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just moved from a postage stamp subdivision lot to just over two acres, Love everything about it except I have to buy a new mower or have a heart attack trying to push mow it in the Texas summer heat.

Have done some reading on several sites and Hustler has a good reputation and I found a 2007 sport 48inch, the guy had an engine seal go out at year two and the motor was replaced with a Briggs and Stratton 26hp and it has 50 hours on the new motor under warranty.

Anyone have any opinions on this model or year. Any known issues I should check out above and beyond a normal check of a used mower?

Edit to add - 21 hp motor not 26. The seller emailed to correct his earlier mistake.

What's your budget??? I would be reluctant to recommend an entry level ZTR like the Sport for > 2 acres, especially after it has already exhibited problems.

Txbrewer

Forum Newbie
Threads
What's your budget??? I would be reluctant to recommend an entry level ZTR like the Sport for > 2 acres, especially after it has already exhibited problems.

Trying to keep it under 3000 on the used market. This one is well below that number.

wascator

Threads
HI, I bought a Sport 48" new about 3 years ago, I run it more than most who buy a smaller machine, and I really like it. it has the 21 HP B&S and the head gasket went a couple months ago, but it was an easy, cheap repair. The blades are strong, the deck is strong, but I bend the deck hangers bumping into things. It cuts level and I have never though of making an adjustment. The tires are typical mower tires: sorry and won't hold air after a couple of years. I replaced all four and still had to put a tube in one of the front ones.
I would recommend it esp. for your budget, but if I buy another I want a Fasttrac 48 or 52 with the Kawasaki.

MRCo.

Threads
I'd recommend something like Raptor SD with ZT2800 transmissions, but that's over budget...or would 0% for 48 sway you? About $90 a month, depending on taxes.

On the sport, the new none is a good size for the rig. The EZT is the week point for your purposes...bu I have two customers making livings mowing with them so, who knows. The solid frame and rops is nice, ride isn't the best due to small tires though. Overall, if it's tidy and affordable then go for it. But its not really the right machine for the job.