Open Positive? *Update*

TiIngot

Threads
I’m just an average DiYer but here is my two cents. If necessary charge battery just enough to start tractor then shut motor off.

Use volt meter to check battery DC voltage with engine off. Then start tractor and recheck battery voltage at battery again. It should be higher now indicating voltage regulator is working. (Hi side of 12v to low 13v)??

If regulator is not charging battery, now with engine still running, check AC voltage coming from the engine to voltage regulator. I believe it should be about 24v AC??

If you have the engine sending the correct voltage to the regulator but no voltage increase at battery then you have bad regulator or bad wiring in the regulator circuit to the battery.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem here is the regulator and its connection are inaccessible on this particular engine without partial disassembly and the use of a shop made jumper cable for testing.

But usually these regulators do fail over time. Most times a simple test of is it charging test at the starter remote starter solenoid will tell if things are good or not.

One note It is easy to put the charge wire on the wrong solenoid post if it is being changed out.

TiIngot

Threads
The problem here is the regulator and its connection are inaccessible on this particular engine without partial disassembly and the use of a shop made jumper cable for testing.

But usually these regulators do fail over time. Most times a simple test of is it charging test at the starter remote starter solenoid will tell if things are good or not.

One note It is easy to put the charge wire on the wrong solenoid post if it is being changed out.
I see said the blind man. Like I said, I’m just a home DIY’ er.

sano888

Threads
This might be why I couldn't get any readings on my multimeter.

Attachments

• crop copy.jpeg
    crop copy.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 13

sano888

Threads
Bought a straight from China stator/rectifier/spark plug kit. Also bought a Kohler harness. Stator and flywheel were packed full of debris. Numbers seemed to be good after replacing everything. Won't believe it until the battery stays charged. However, after starting it a number of times, went to take it for a spin since I also replaced the front tires which were beginning to dry rot, and the 20A fuse below the seat blew. And of course, which fuse don't I have? To be continued...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp.. Definitely a failed terminal. Here I would just have replaced the terminal but that is me.

sano888

Threads
Yelp.. Definitely a failed terminal. Here I would just have replaced the terminal but that is me.
I probably should have started there and checked to see if that was the only issue. As I said, easy for me to get in over my head. I like wrenching though and I know enough to get me in trouble. Any thoughts on the fuse? A point in a direction might help me in my research.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually these regulators are the 12/15 half wave amp version. So I would fuse at @15 amp.

And yes most DIYers usually go a little over board but that is normal. Just shows lack of experience. Heck many shops do the same thing as they also lack electrical experience and knowledge. But I do have now have 45 yrs of experience doing it so I am little more into the testing stages.

sano888

Threads
I appreciate people like you taking time to help out. I like learning about how things work. Just don't know enough to know how to troubleshoot nor have enough time under the hood, so to speak, to think to check oddball stuff like broken terminals. Appreciate guys-in-the-know being patient as I work through things. Not enough of that these days.