One wheel not turning when first engaging hydros. (both sides have done it)

JohnCardin

Threads
  • / One wheel not turning when first engaging hydros. (both sides have done it)
I was curious if anyone else had this. I've got about 17 hours on my RSD so far and just got it back from loaning it out to family. I noticed twice on saturday when I first started it up that when I would move the handles to the driving position and press forward that one of the wheels wouldn't engage. The arms did move forward and you could hear the Hydro's activate.

First time was when I washed off the underseat area (it had not been blown off and had gotten wet so it was a mess) and the second time was after it was dried and I started mowing. The right side did it one time and then the left the second.

I don't know if its due to the Parking brake switches getting wet (not disengaging?) or what. On sunday I flipped the seat up and looked at the switches and they appears to release when the arms are moved into "running" position.

Anyone have ideas on this one?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was curious if anyone else had this. I've got about 17 hours on my RSD so far and just got it back from loaning it out to family. I noticed twice on saturday when I first started it up that when I would move the handles to the driving position and press forward that one of the wheels wouldn't engage. The arms did move forward and you could hear the Hydro's activate.

First time was when I washed off the underseat area (it had not been blown off and had gotten wet so it was a mess) and the second time was after it was dried and I started mowing. The right side did it one time and then the left the second.

I don't know if its due to the Parking brake switches getting wet (not disengaging?) or what. On sunday I flipped the seat up and looked at the switches and they appears to release when the arms are moved into "running" position.

Anyone have ideas on this one?

It's your call(and don't get me wrong I love my family), but loaning out my ZTR is something I would never consider. Now if someone in my family's mower broke down I wouldn't hesitate to go over and cut their grass for them....but if something your family did while using your ZTR caused this that's not an easy thing to deal with(for most families). Just my $.02 worth.

JohnCardin

Threads
It's your call(and don't get me wrong I love my family), but loaning out my ZTR is something I would never consider. Now if someone in my family's mower broke down I wouldn't hesitate to go over and cut their grass for them....but if something your family did while using your ZTR caused this that's not an easy thing to deal with(for most families). Just my $.02 worth.

See, I'm "That family member" that borrowed their mowers for almost 10 years now. Theirs was (and still is) in the shop and I could not in good conscience not loan it out. That was one of the main reason I got the SD vs the normal Raptor anyway. I'm a little sad that someone else has put on 12 of the 17 hours but I'm not *that* sad. It still looks and smells new anyway.

I don't think it was their use that is causing this and it's got a warranty for a reason so I'm not really worried about this issue. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever see this. I'll give it through the summer and see if it happens regularly. If it does I'll just get it back to the dealer for fixin.

RetiredGuns

Threads
Did you ever figure out the problem? Sounds electrical more than mechanical.

No one in my family has experience with a ZT so I would not loan it out. I would however as noted gladly mow someone's lawn for them. My neighbor said he always wanted to try a ZT so I let him drive mine for 2 minutes and he nearly flipped it in a ditch! He made it out to the street and turned the key off. He jumped off and was white as a sheet. Not for someone without a clue.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
These things can be dangerous in the wrong hands,makes me have mucho respect for the professionals!

JohnCardin

Threads
Did you ever figure out the problem? Sounds electrical more than mechanical.

Not yet, I haven't mowed since saturday (I should be mowing tonight weather permitting). I'll give the bermuda a quick mow and then on saturday I'll give the fescue and bermuda another mow. That should give me two more data points to compare.

mooch91

Threads
This has happened to me, primarily in reverse. Some times when first started and backing it out of the garage (actually happened to me on my maiden voyage off the trailer too and got me stuck), it just won't go. I push forward an inch and then go backwards and whatever is "stuck" gets "freed". It seems to have gone away with time though.

wascator

Threads
I bet the belt was wet and was slipping in one of the pulleys. "Just washed" is the clue here.