One a Better Engine than the Other?

jessb_55

Forum Newbie
Threads
So this past weekend my Craftsman with a 123K05 0478 E1 Briggs on it all of sudden started making kind of a ticking sound. Originally I thought maybe a leave was stuck somewhere,etc. I decided to check the blade and it didn't seem loose so I proceed to mow until the mower wouldn't restart after dumping the bag. Luckily I have two mowers. Well yesterday I went to start it just to see what it would do and it immediately snapped my arm back at me. My Husqvarna has done that to me as well, not to this degree, when the valves were out of adjustment. So I started to take the mower down to make sure the valves were moving okay which they seemed okay I was about to check the flywheel key when I went to hold to the blade to prepare to get the flywheel off and discovered that the blade was spinning. I quickly discovered that the key on the blade adapter was damaged.

Earlier this summer I was looking for engine pars and it was cheaper to buy a used John Deere from a guy with the same engine as my Husqvarna so I have an good running engine off that. SO THE QUESTION IS since I believe this would be the time to do so, would it be better to swap the engines as the one off the John DEERE has the OHV Intek Briggs engine on it and the Craftsman currently has the the Ready Start so no priming involved which always makes me a little nervous about it starting. The last thing would be then that both of my mowers would essentially have the same engine for ease of troubleshooting, etc. The only issue I can think of is that the John Deere engine had the throttle control on the opposite side of my Husqvarna but couldn't I just move the cable to the otherside as the existing clamp is there (Which I've tried to show in an attached pic) and I believe the cable end connector would work on the John Deere engine as well.

Lastly I know either way I need to buy a Blade adapter which sucks, anyone have any used ones for sale :)? Also the adapter on my Husqvarna got ruined once too after my wife ran over a stump....(Awesome) She says she didn't hit anything this time so can an adapter become ruined just from coming loose?

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• bladeadapter.jpg
    bladeadapter.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 19
  • johndeereengine.jpg
    johndeereengine.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Johndeerethrottleplate.jpg
    Johndeerethrottleplate.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 20

jessb_55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay so I just worked on the John Deere motor some more, finally getting the darn blade clutch off, what a pain! Anyway, I then noticed (should have thought of this sooner) that there is already a self propelled pulley on the crankshaft so really all I'd need is a plain blade adapter plate right? Originally I was thinking that the blade adapter would be the same as the one that the Craftsman would take but I noticed that the keyway on the crankshaft is a lot shorter on the JD. This being said if I really only do need a non-belt driven blade adapter how do I figure out which one would work as if I look up parts for the John Deere JA65 its just going to show me the blade clutch and the parts diagrams for the motor don't show the drive systems.

THANKS AGAIN

darrinster

Threads
Did you hit any solid objects with the mowers?

jessb_55

Forum Newbie
Threads
No not that I'm aware of? Could this have been caused from the blade coming loose?

darrinster

Threads
Yea that could do it. Also if you notice the rope pulling back fast to the mower the flywheel key is broken.

jessb_55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it weird that the blade didn't come loose all season long until now as I haven't had it off since mid last season. So you're saying I need to check the flywheel key then too? I just didn't want to pull the nut off if I didn't have to in fear that I either couldn't get it off or couldn't get it as tight as I need to after reinstall.

Would it be worth trying to pull it over again after I get the blade back on (assuming the new adapter comes today)?

Last, any opinion on swapping engines?