Export thread

older 3.5hp tecum engine with NOOOOOOOOOO spark

H

hoj

I am a retired guy who has been fixing small engines for friends and neighbors free of charge for many years I am usually 75% affective on units It's not to often I get stumped but I got 1 now that I need help and advice on THANKS in advance!!!!!

small older tiller engine that has NOOOOOO spark It was stored in a moist area for a few months but before that it ran great!!!! I have replaced points (gapped right), condensor, coil and plug wire, checked wiring, flywheel has no wobble is tight--- the only thing I have not replaced was/is the u shaped metal device that holds the coil (armature???) engine sits on a GILSON tiller -great little item and hate to trash it.

not sure how to check gap between coil and flywheel

have decent compression

TXAGAIN for any help direction etc. BOB

P

Pumper54

Any chance you can post more info on the engine: model number or a picture if possible.
Tom

H

hoj

Any chance you can post more info on the engine: model number or a picture if possible.
Tom

model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way later this am going deer hunting now or shouldd i say tree sitting ugh!!! toooooo hot here in nc

H

hoj

model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way

P

Pumper54

Found a site that has manuals for the tillers but it requires the tiller frame number, supposed to be a metal tag riveted to the frame somewhere. Once you locate that check here to see if they the manual you need.

https://sites.google.com/site/rustytiller/home

Good luck and just to rub salt in the wound here is a picture I took out my back window. He is standing about 15 feet away from my house and no we don't feed em.
Buckie 1.jpg
Tom

R

rfWi

model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way later this am going deer hunting now or shouldd i say tree sitting ugh!!! toooooo hot here in nc

If that number is 143.584072,I believe that model number is a Craftsman number.You can use a business card to set coil airgap.Make sure there is no rust on flywheel and coil.
Also,could the kill switch be malfunctioning?

H

hoj

tx for feedback will try gapping @ .010 later today hoj

R

RockabillyHog

hoj,

How is your edger running these days? I have the same one. I picked it up several years ago at a used tool shop. I love my edger, but alas, it won't start now. I think the spark maker is dead.