Export thread

Old Fashioned Manual Mower

G

Green Girl

Does anyone ever use one of those old fashioned push mowers? I think they are great if you don't have a huge area to maintain. What I really like is no noise!

K

KennyV

What I really like is no noise!

You are right about no noise...
But they do make a rather unique sound... I have not used a push type Reel mower in decades...I did regularly back in the mid 50's ...
I have a toro gang set that I occasionally pull with my tractor, Just to hear them ... :smile:KennyV

rekees

rekees

no noise, air pollution, oil or gas ... back to the future :smile:

N

noma

Green Girl

Yes i have some in my shed about 12 or so i like to go to auctions and a lot of time they are at auctions and they don't usually go for much so i pick them up pretty cheap a lot of times . Yes i like them .but i don't use them have to much to mow.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

We had one when I was a kid. I can't see one being very efficient on some of the new grasses down south. Kind of difficult to sharpen too.
I remember pushing and pulling so you cut about 24" at a stroke, maybe less, good workout.
About 16 years ago I was visiting a friend in Montana who used it to cut his grass, he lived in town and had a very small lawn looked like rye grass to me. It would probably be the thing for rye grass.

P

pollyannasmum

The man next door to us has one and uses it on the thin strips of grass between his flower beds. It's quite cute to hear it. We also have a man with a little van who comes around from time to time and offers to sharpen mower blades and garden tools- very handy.

M

MowTown

My grandfather used one when I was a kid. He had a pretty big yard----was an avid gardener. I remember when I was 6 he gave me permission to use it in his yard. I loved being able to help him, and he loved that he could keep me busy an know that I couldn't get hurt.

adan

adan

Yeah, it's noiseless in the sense you don't hear any motor running. It does have a sound of its own, which can sound cute. Being a manual thing, it can be tiring to use especially in a hot summer day. But it's still better than hedge shears, which is the more popular thing in my place :)

JDgreen

JDgreen

Does anyone ever use one of those old fashioned push mowers? I think they are great if you don't have a huge area to maintain. What I really like is no noise!

I saw one for sale at the local Goodwill store the other day....$19.95. It was some oddball brand from a store like Harbor Freight. I do think Lowes and Home Depot still sell them though. Recall using one as a kid, push a few feet, back up, get a running start to go another few feet, etc.

K

KennyV

JRecall using one as a kid said:
That's the same technique I perfected back in the 50's :laughing:...

I have since learned freshly sharpened blades make that type mower much easier to use. :smile:KennyV

G

Georgian

My brother still has one. He uses it to cut the small grass areas behind their garden shed. He generally uses an electric motor, and it doesn't reach back there. When my nephew was younger, he used to use it for the exercise. Not I will say when it was really hot. Just on those cool 70 F days, when a nice breeze was blowing.

I remember the sharpener man who used to come around with his little hand cart back in the 70s. My Stepmother was always ready with her knives and sheers. He had a particular bell that rang as he walked along so you knew he was coming. Ah the old days!