Export thread

Oil overfilled /drained refilled smoking white

R

riseandrun

Another lawn mowing season has begun... last year my sister in law WAY overfilled her Toro GTS 21 inch rear bigger. Mod. 20622. As much oil as I drained I don't think it could have possibly started. I drained the oil last year and it has sat all winter. I put in approximately 21 ounces and after priming through spark plug it finally started. After idling for about 1 minute, I dropped the handle to engage the blade and the smoke was even worse. I'm hoping I haven't made matters worse. Is there oil " somewhere" I need to get out before I try starting it again? FWIW the lawnmower has been meticulously taken care of before my S-I-L overfilled it. I got the lawnmower because " it won't start". Any advice greatly appreciated.
R&R
Should mention a compression check was 150 lbs. and I believe engine is a B&S

jekjr

jekjr

Another lawn mowing season has begun... last year my sister in law WAY overfilled her Toro GTS 21 inch rear bigger. Mod. 20622. As much oil as I drained I don't think it could have possibly started. I drained the oil last year and it has sat all winter. I put in approximately 21 ounces and after priming through spark plug it finally started. After idling for about 1 minute, I dropped the handle to engage the blade and the smoke was even worse. I'm hoping I haven't made matters worse. Is there oil " somewhere" I need to get out before I try starting it again? FWIW the lawnmower has been meticulously taken care of before my S-I-L overfilled it. I got the lawnmower because " it won't start". Any advice greatly appreciated.
R&R
Should mention a compression check was 150 lbs. and I believe engine is a B&S

I had my 30" Toro over filled last year. I just drained it and refilled it to correct level and started it up and let it run. It had no problems.....afterward.

R

riseandrun

Thanks for responding. Did the lawnmower smoke like a fog machine? Or like someone just stuck a smoke bomb in the muffler? I took the muffler off and let it drain, but there wasn't very much oil in it...

M

Mick Oz

It should settle down once all the excess oil has burned off

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Thanks for responding. Did the lawnmower smoke like a fog machine? Or like someone just stuck a smoke bomb in the muffler? I took the muffler off and let it drain, but there wasn't very much oil in it...

I had a similar situation with a tenant's mower. It wouldn't start, so she filled it all the way up to the top of the dipstick tube with oil. :confused2:

I drained the extra oil, took the muffler off, and let the engine run a while without it to clean the oil out of the combustion chamber. After soaking the muffler in carburetor cleaner and letting it dry, I put it back on and ran the engine until it stopped smoking.

Short answer, yes it will smoke like a fog machine until the oil burns off.

R

riseandrun

I had a similar situation with a tenant's mower. It wouldn't start, so she filled it all the way up to the top of the dipstick tube with oil. :confused2:

I drained the extra oil, took the muffler off, and let the engine run a while without it to clean the oil out of the combustion chamber. After soaking the muffler in carburetor cleaner and letting it dry, I put it back on and ran the engine until it stopped smoking.

Short answer, yes it will smoke like a fog machine until the oil burns off.
Thanks again for all the replys. I'm happy to say you were all correct.�� I ran it tonight thinking I had nothing to loose. It took half of my back yard of mowing, maybe 20 minutes, and it finally stopped smoking and "seemed" like it was running like a normal lawn mower again. For some reason the self propel was a little funky at the beginning too. The idea of cleaning the muffler with carb cleaner was great, will remember that one...��
I really like the old toro's.
Have a great week all!
KW

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I used the Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner in a bucket, not the kind in a spray can. Put the muffler in the bucket and soak it for 15-30 minutes, take it out and let it dry.

:thumbsup:

If the push mower is tipped to the wrong side oil will get into the combustion chamber. My neighbor did this & when he wanted to start it the rope was stuck, becsause it had oil above the piston. I told him to pull the spark plug & yank the rope like 50 times (I love messing with him), he came running back & told me oil was shooting out the spark plug hole. I just said keep yanking the rope till it quits.
Then put in the spark plug & try & fire it up, but to expect smoke. It started & was smoking, I told him to go mow as it will keep mosquitoes off him till it clears up.

You have to tip a push mow so the carb remains on the high side. This will avoid the oil transfer into the c.c.