Oil drain plug odd size?

scott0999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I bought my lawn mower used. its a Toro 21" with a 4cycle.. (it doesn't say anywhere).. Tecumseh engine?

I can't seem to figure out what size my drain plug is. its a square male end. I've tried a 1/4" extension end and its too small, 3/8 is too big.

the plug is too low to use a crescent wrench on. is there a special socket for this?

thanks

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,

I bought my lawn mower used. its a Toro 21" with a 4cycle.. (it doesn't say anywhere).. Tecumseh engine?

I can't seem to figure out what size my drain plug is. its a square male end. I've tried a 1/4" extension end and its too small, 3/8 is too big.

the plug is too low to use a crescent wrench on. is there a special socket for this?

thanks

I wouldnt take it out as it can cause more hassle than what its worth.
remove oil out of the dipstick.

scott0999

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wouldnt take it out as it can cause more hassle than what its worth.
remove oil out of the dipstick.

thanks for the reply. I tried measuring with my caliper and best reading I could get was .285. seems to be 9/32 then

I would hate for the plug to break off so maybe tipping it over to drain is a better idea

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is sockets to fit square headed plugs and nuts. They are called a 8 point star socket. They also make a four point socket. I know your friendly Snap-On man sells them because I have a set of each.

scott0999

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, looks like either pipe plug socket or 8 point would be good for this

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boy that sure seems small for a oil plug head. I can understand why you wouldn't want muscle on that plug. Yes I think you woud be better off draining out the fill.