Export thread

not a clean cut in the middle?

B

bubba827

Woow glad I found this site.....anyway long story short i bought a 227 mower about 5 years ago and was cutting a pasture and I was almost finished when i hit a stump at full speed, stopping the mower dead in its tracks and of course I played superman flying thru the air. i am sure the deck had to have gotten bent some, but ever since then the mower just does not cut as good, when in tall grass it does not cut cleanly in the center, it leaves some of it uncut....it just kinda beats it down.I have checked cutting height, bearings, changed spindles. i have also noticed when i cut anything flimsy like weeds it just beats it down and does not cut it. I am about at the end of my line here so Thanks in advance and sorry if I left some important info out...just ask and i will try to answer any questions...

reynoldston

reynoldston

I don't see where you tryed new blades

F

fastback

Yes the blades would be a good place to start. Did you by any chance remove the blade and reinstall it up side down? If that is ok try moving an out side blade and install it in the center. See if that changes the cut. One other thing did you twist the deck in any way?

B

bubba827

yes srry I have changed blades many times, and as far as twisting the deck i guess that is possible. The mower stopped dead in its tracks. I will try changing the outside blade with the middle blade. I was wondering if maybe this has something to do with it not cutting weeds as good as it does regular grass. I thought that the mower maybe creating so much down force with the blades turning so fast that maybe it was forcing the weeds down as the mower went over them?......just my thoughts...any other ideas?...........................................................how would I know if the deck was twisted?

173abn

173abn

two thoughts,if you hit the stump hard enough to launch you off the mower you might have bent the deck where the spindle bolts onto to it.another thought is did you torque the blade down to specs?almost sounds like when you try to cut heavy grass and weeds that the blade stops due to it not being tight.did you put a new spindle on? russ

Parkmower

Parkmower

173abn said:
two thoughts,if you hit the stump hard enough to launch you off the mower you might have bent the deck where the spindle bolts onto to it.another thought is did you torque the blade down to specs?almost sounds like when you try to cut heavy grass and weeds that the blade stops due to it not being tight.did you put a new spindle on? russ

I'd say one of or both those two are the culprit.

B

bubba827

yes i changed the middle spindle and torqued the blades to specs....even changed belt and adjusted tension pulley.......really at a lost here to be honest......weeds and grass are growing fast here so can i post a pic on here of what it is really doing?

Parkmower

Parkmower

How often are you mowing. I've noticed the same kinda thing happen when I let certain areas go a week or two.

C

Cuttinup

I had similar problem and fixed it by buying a new deck. U had to of bent ur deck.

173abn

173abn

jack your mower up high enough to see the blades,then move them using the belt and see if they all move in alignment.if the middle blade is out of alignment you should see it.if new spindle then your deck is bent.be sure to disconnect plug wire.also blades are stamped which side down..russ

B

bubba827

woow was hoping the bent deck thing was not in the mix here ......... new deck cost about 2 grand for my mower...:(

173abn

173abn

might be able to fix it if it's bent.keep us posted please.would really like to know the outcome,good luck...russ

B

bubba827

OK any ideas on how to check if it is bent and if so how to fix it...thanks

Parkmower

Parkmower

My guess is try placing a level or framing square on areas of the deck and look for inconsistencies.

B

bubba827

Ok just an update to my deck problem.....i took my blades off and lowered deck back down to cutting height, i then took a level and put it on the bottom of the spindle where the blade bolts up.....well long story short the bubble was in the middle on all 3 spindles. i am going to assume that by this does it mean my deck is prob not bent? my thought process is that if the spindles are level then the blades would be also??

173abn

173abn

I'd agree on that however did you check to see if your spindels got bent when you hit the stump? russ

B

bubba827

spindles have been replaced with new ones

F

fastback

To me it sounds like you have addressed the deck in terms of flatness and it being straight. Since you have changed your spindles that sould be good. You originally said that you are net getting a clean cut in the middle. I would question the drive pulley on the center. Is it keyed? Is it possible it is slipping and not getting full RPM when cutting? I would carefully check the pulleys make sure they are working properly. It seems to me that you have done everything else.

173abn

173abn

I think fasttract might be on to something,I ate up a pully last year that destroyed the pully and the spindle.I think it started with the slot for the key being worn enough to allow movement of the pully and I noticed no cut in the middle,took the top cover off and started it up and made a quick diagnosis.Had to buy a new pully and spindle.you said you have new spindles so is there a chance you need to adjust the belt.did you put a new belt on?...russ

173abn

173abn

sorry,meant fastback...russ

F

fastback

Russ no problem.

The reason I mentioned the pulley is one time I had a problem with a double drive pully on my 96 Craftsman. The stacked pulleys were surposed to be solid but the weld between the two broke allowing the top pulley to slip on the spindle. On that machine I had to replace the spindle as well as the pulley because the free pulley had caused damage. Oh, the cause of the problem was that I hit a large section of tree root. I thought everything was alright but then I found a skip in the cut. Hope this helps.

B

bubba827

Ok I will check into the middle spindle,,thanks for all the input

B

bubba827

ok i did 2 things .......srry about not getting back sooner but i went back to the regular blades and replaced the center pulleys and i will be dammmed if she went back to cutting grass and making the yards look like carpet.......Thanks again for all the input....happy cutting