Non ethanol fuel question

TonyPrin

Threads
Water is in contact. Water plus oxygen makes rust.
Agreed. But water in ethanol suspension is dispersed throughout the tank (mostly away from the tank wall) while water not in suspension is concentrated at the bottom wall of the tank.

Clearly you have never disassembled a carburetor or fuel injector which which sat unused with water in ethanol gasoline.

Ethanol gasoline phase separation is the ethanol + water falling out of solution. If only water fell out no one would care, but the mix is nasty.
Through the years I've worked on many carburetors but never compared them. I've seen extensive slime and residue in them for years, long before E10 existed. Gasoline with or without ethanol shouldn't be kept in the carburetor long term.

That's not to say phase separation isn't an issue and I agree phase separation must be avoided.

Finally, it's not debated that water in a gas tank will cause rust. But first you say, "water is in contact. Water plus oxygen makes rust". Three sentences later you say, "if only water fell out no one would care". It can't be both.

Last edited:

sessman55

Threads
The new Sheetz gas station near our house happens to sell ethanol free fuel, however the octane rating seems to be 90 (instead of the usual 87)
Is this higher octane safe for my Kohler VTwinand for my Honda self propelled mower?
.the higher octane rating will not adversely affect your engine.