Export thread

No throttle response

F

freshcut92

Hi, I have a 16.5hp briggs and stratton engine on my ranch king lawn mower. Model 31377 0163-e1 010111ze. The mower runs good but for some reason i have no throttle response when moving the lever. I've tried adjusting the governor by loosening the nut and turning the drive clockwise. I can control the throttle by manually turning it above the carb. when going up a hill it will adjust a little bit. Also when the engine is partially choked i can then adjust the throttle. It is a manual choke btw. I have read something about the governor/ throttle linkage spring that connects to the governor arm and above the throttle plate and mine is broken and the spring is just loose on the linkage. Is this my issue? I dont really see what the spring would even do for me honestly. Any help appreciated.

Boobala

Boobala

You may want to read through sections 4 & 5 in this Manual .....

.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ybEN0LWo3azl6OUU/view

and enlarge the pics to view the details of the spring ends .. Hope this is helpful...Boobala

DSCN1957.jpg..DSCN1958.jpg..DSCN1959.jpg..DSCN1960.jpg..2011-03-20_205944_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..DSCN1962.jpg..DSCN1963.jpg..2011-03-13_173252_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..2011-03-20_205944_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg..DSCN1962.jpg..DSCN1963.jpg..2011-03-13_173252_briggs_vertical_linkage_006.jpg

F

freshcut92

I was unable to open the link. Thanks for the pictures. I know where the spring goes but i just wasn't sure if that's what controls whether our not i can use my lever to adjust the throttle speed.

Boobala

Boobala

I was unable to open the link. Thanks for the pictures. I know where the spring goes but i just wasn't sure if that's what controls whether our not i can use my lever to adjust the throttle speed.

Link works fine on my 2 puters ..... HP desktop / Windows Vista .. HP desktop / Windows 10
that is the BRIGGS Engine O/H manual ... those sections are on the carburetor and governor

maybe another member has a different link to the... Briggs& Stratton Single Cylinder OHV Engine Manual

F

freshcut92

strange i keep getting an error saying cant provide a secure connection. Do you know what the purpose of the spring is for?

Boobala

Boobala

Boobala

Boobala

strange i keep getting an error saying cant provide a secure connection. Do you know what the purpose of the spring is for?

without pics I don't know which spring you're talking about .. the very long spring on the throttle rod should operate the governor control linkage ... that is why I sent the manual link ..

you must have security software blocking access to the link ...I don't know your situation... sorry...

F

freshcut92

Thanks yes that worked! I see where they are talking about spring im just not sure its the same spring im talking about.

Boobala

Boobala

Thanks yes that worked! I see where they are talking about spring im just not sure its the same spring im talking about.

Can you post pics of your set-up ...???

F

freshcut92

Yea i can when i get home from work. It looks like the normal set up i would assume with a manual choke briggs and stratton if that means anything? Do you know what spring im talking about that is wrapped around the governor/ throttle linkage that connects to the governor arm and top of the throttle on carb? Sorry for all the questions i've been stumped on why i can only adjust the throttle with the engine choked or going up a hill but can rev it while parked. I've been googling for a week and order that linkage spring that i gave the part number for but i dont even know what it does. lol

Boobala

Boobala

Yea i can when i get home from work. It looks like the normal set up i would assume with a manual choke briggs and stratton if that means anything? Do you know what spring im talking about that is wrapped around the governor/ throttle linkage that connects to the governor arm and top of the throttle on carb? Sorry for all the questions i've been stumped on why i can only adjust the throttle with the engine choked or going up a hill but can rev it while parked. I've been googling for a week and order that linkage spring that i gave the part number for but i dont even know what it does. lol

We'll get it working ... in the meantime your BOSS called me and said to tell you he's not paying you to fix YOUR mower ....... GET TO WORK !!! ..... ( LOL )

F

freshcut92

Well I tried messing with it but had to leave and phone was dead so I didn't get a picture. Does anyone know what the spring is for that goes around the throttle/ governor linkage.

Boobala

Boobala

I'm beginning to think we are discussing different carburetors...do you know which model carb you have ..??
also.. what year and model ranch king mower do you have ( lookiing for your operators manual)

I

ILENGINE

Well I tried messing with it but had to leave and phone was dead so I didn't get a picture. Does anyone know what the spring is for that goes around the throttle/ governor linkage.

If you are talking about the skinny spring that is wrapped around the linkage wire that goes between the governor arm and the throttle on the carb, it is a throttle stabilizer spring. It takes the slack out of the connection point for more steady throttle control.

F

freshcut92

Im not sure the year of the mower im guessing 98. Its a walbro carb. And yes that is the spring i'm talking about. So that isn't whats causing me to not be able to control throttle speed. I can only adjust it with the choke pulled some or while going up a hill. I've looked at my friends and im only missing that spring. Is it even possible to rev the engine while idling? We are talking about the spring labeled 232?

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...9/313777-0163-e1/alternator-controls-ignition

Boobala

Boobala

Im not sure the year of the mower im guessing 98. Its a walbro carb. And yes that is the spring i'm talking about. So that isn't whats causing me to not be able to control throttle speed. I can only adjust it with the choke pulled some or while going up a hill. I've looked at my friends and im only missing that spring. Is it even possible to rev the engine while idling? We are talking about the spring labeled 232?

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...9/313777-0163-e1/alternator-controls-ignition

Without seeing a pic of your set-up it's VERY difficult to understand what you are working with ..you should have a single dash mounted lever to control the choke ..( FULL FORWARD ) and the throttle ( turtle to rabbit ) if you are missing the long skinny spring which is wrapped around the long linkage rod you need to replace it AGAIN go over the pics I sent ENLARGE the pics with your computer zoom feature if need be...don't you have a digital camera ... or a friend with a camera ... or a phone with a camera ???

......232.JPG ... 232 is the spring we are talking about ...the spring slides over linkage rod # 202 when you remove the rod off the carb. ..you have to remove the carb linkage in order to install the spring onto the rod. I dont understand
how you are moving the linkage ...with the dash lever ...??? or by hand..???

I

ILENGINE

Part 209 is the spring that connects to the governor arm, and the throttle control.. The spring is somewhat hidden behind the control plate. Without that spring connected your won't have throttle control, just idle.

Boobala

Boobala

Part 209 is the spring that connects to the governor arm, and the throttle control.. The spring is somewhat hidden behind the control plate. Without that spring connected your won't have throttle control, just idle.

Here are some pics of the spring ( #209 ) ILEngine is referring to...is this what you are trying to describe ..???

DSCN2502 (Medium).jpg...DSCN2501 (Medium).jpg...DSCN2503 (Medium).jpg

F

freshcut92

Do you guys know what would be stopping me from being able to log on her with my phone? I log in and it says thanks but then after the page redirects it acts as if i hadn't logged in. I will post a pic when i get home and can use my laptop if i cant get my phone to log in. But we are talking about the same spring 232 boobala. I am replacing it. I just wanted to know if the function of that spring and if thats why i have no throttle control. And no I have a seperate lever for throttle and choke cause i have a manual choke. The spring the ilengine pointed out i have. Please bare with me and ill get pictures. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

F

freshcut92

Do you guys know what would be stopping me from being able to log on her with my phone? I log in and it says thanks but then after the page redirects it acts as if i hadn't logged in. I will post a pic when i get home and can use my laptop if i cant get my phone to log in. But we are talking about the same spring 232 boobala. I am replacing it. I just wanted to know if the function of that spring and if thats why i have no throttle control. And no I have a seperate lever for throttle and choke cause i have a manual choke. The spring the ilengine pointed out i have. Please bare with me and ill get pictures. Thanks and sorry for the confusion. Finally found the app and uploaded the pics. If you look at the second pic you see a thin wire thats my spring 232 that broke. So thats what im wondering if that is why i have no throttle control unless my choke is pulled partially. Basically im irritated that if i wanted to rev my mower while idling just for the heck of it right now i cant.

ForumRunner_20170427_104714.png

ForumRunner_20170427_104727.png

ForumRunner_20170427_104735.png

Boobala

Boobala

Check out these videos...

........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZPp3wDf0M

.................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yQpDmmG0A

.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WWpeyDbHjA

.......ForumRunner_20170427_104735.png in this pic ... it appears that spring # 209 is either not connected ...or
it's connected in the wrong place ... GO BACK to photos of spring # 209 I sent ....

it may be easier to work on this linkage if you remove the air cleaner assy. ...TEMPORARILY

F

freshcut92

its connected cause it moves when i adjust the throttle lever and like the guy say in the video it'll feel "springy" when throttle is engaged. But idk if its in the right spot from memory it looks like the pics you shared when i move the throttle lever. I will check that when i get home to see if its in the right spot. But if it is wrong. Why would i be able to rev the motor when its partially choked or when going up a hill but not while in neutral and blade stopped at idle? Oh and i've watched those videos thats how i found out i was missing that one spring but i'm guessing that spring wont fix my problem.

Boobala

Boobala

its connected cause it moves when i adjust the throttle lever and like the guy say in the video it'll feel "springy" when throttle is engaged. But idk if its in the right spot from memory it looks like the pics you shared when i move the throttle lever. I will check that when i get home to see if its in the right spot. But if it is wrong. Why would i be able to rev the motor when its partially choked or when going up a hill but not while in neutral and blade stopped at idle? Oh and i've watched those videos thats how i found out i was missing that one spring but i'm guessing that spring wont fix my problem.

Been studying your pics ........ A. it appears you have 2 linkages on your choke lever ...you only need 1 ..either the cable with the lever or the "choke a matic" rod .
with the choke a matic rod on there when you push the THROTTLE lever FULL FORWARD it should close the choke ..the choke is used ONLY to help START the engine .. !!

B. I see the throttle rod spring is hanging in the breeze and someone bent the end of the rod out of shape.. as I stated earlier ... you need to check spring #209 for proper installation .
I 'm guessing you have 2 levers on the dash ...1 for choke and 1 for throttle... is that right ?? If so remember that !! 1 is choke ( for starting only ) AND 1 is for
the throttle ( gas-feed) I suggest you read your owners guide for proper starting procedure ... you will need your mowers model # ( usually found on a sticker under the seat)
to get one if you lost yours..

And finally ..... as I stated before if you remove the air cleaner assy. it will much easier to work on it ... Boobala

F

freshcut92

Been studying your pics ........ A. it appears you have 2 linkages on your choke lever ...you only need 1 ..either the cable with the lever or the "choke a matic" rod .
with the choke a matic rod on there when you push the THROTTLE lever FULL FORWARD it should close the choke ..the choke is used ONLY to help START the engine .. !!

B. I see the throttle rod spring is hanging in the breeze and someone bent the end of the rod out of shape.. as I stated earlier ... you need to check spring #209 for proper installation .
I 'm guessing you have 2 levers on the dash ...1 for choke and 1 for throttle... is that right ?? If so remember that !! 1 is choke ( for starting only ) AND 1 is for
the throttle ( gas-feed) I suggest you read your owners guide for proper starting procedure ... you will need your mowers model # ( usually found on a sticker under the seat)
to get one if you lost yours..

And finally ..... as I stated before if you remove the air cleaner assy. it will much easier to work on it ... Boobala

Oh I'm sorry if I'm confusing I know how to start it and run the mower. I was just tinkering to see if the throttle lever would work. My only question is why can't I rev my mower? My throttle lever does nothing unless it's choked or going up hill at idle in neutral it does nothing.I have two levers. The air cleaner is removed now and I'm still confused on how the spring should be installed cause it looks right to me( I will post a pic when I'm home of the the throttle in full speed and turtle. So that throttle spring hanging is that what is not allowing me to control the engine speed?

F

freshcut92

Oh I'm sorry if I'm confusing I know how to start it and run the mower. I was just tinkering to see if the throttle lever would work. My only question is why can't I rev my mower? My throttle lever does nothing unless it's choked or going up hill at idle in neutral it does nothing.I have two levers. The air cleaner is removed now and I'm still confused on how the spring should be installed cause it looks right to me( I will post a pic when I'm home of the the throttle in full speed and turtle. So that throttle spring hanging is that what is not allowing me to control the engine speed?

ForumRunner_20170427_232906.png

ForumRunner_20170427_232915.png

ForumRunner_20170427_232926.png

ForumRunner_20170427_232934.png

I

ILENGINE

The spring is connected correctly. When the engine is running at what appears to be an idle, is the throttle butterfly in the straight all the way open full throttle position. if so remove the spark plug, and the valve cover and turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves open and close. Do they both open the same distance. I suspect that the intake, which is the bottom valve is barely opening, and not staying open very long, because the lobe on the camshaft has worn round.

F

freshcut92

Last year end of season i set the valve clearance and they both moved the same. I will have to look at the butterfly tomorrow but im pretty sure its not wide open because when i turn it by hand itll rev up. But my throttle lever doesnt make it rev. I guess i should ask is it possible to rev the motor in neutral park and no load from the blade?

F

freshcut92

I wish it was easy to share a video of my problem

Boobala

Boobala

I wish it was easy to share a video of my problem

I cannot understand why this is not solved . If you watch and STUDY the very 1st and 3rd
youtube videos I sent it should be no problem ....

You have 2 levers on the dash ...CORRECT ...??

1 lever operates the choke lever (on the carb) ONLY !!!
choke butterfly inside carb ... should open & close with lever movement ... back & forth..

................DONE !!! if that's the way it's working ...DONE !!!

lever #2 ... throttle wire... moves the white slider on the linkage bracket assy.
..(as seen in video) which in turn (from governor arm) moves THROTTLE arm (lever on top of carb) back & forth
which is attached to another butterfly INSIDE of carb... movement of this arm/butterfly ...
increases or decreases the engine speed ( NOTHING TO DO WITH CHOKE AT ALL !!! )

IF the throttle cable is adjusted AND securely CLAMPED on linkage bracket as shown in the video AND in the Manual ...DONE !!! EVERYTHING should be working properly... moving the THROTTLE lever on the dash should be moving the THROTTLE butterfly inside the carb ..back & forth ..

VIDEO # 3 explains the linkage set-up in a VERY easy to understand way !! watch it SEVERAL times ..if need be ..!!

DO we have this UNDERSTOOD ??? ... AND ...ACCOMPLISHED ..????

F

freshcut92

Choke works fine. The throttle lever moves the white slider which moves the spring and thats where my problem starts because my governor arm doesnt move. It feels springy like the videos say but it doesnt move to open throttle position. I came here because theres something im missing and cant figure out.

Boobala

Boobala

You mentioned you messed with the governor setting ........ maybe that's the problem ..because if you have the linkage and SPRINGS installed properly ..all should be working...Since I don't know what you did with your governor setting ... I suggest you watch this
youtube video ... THIS is TARYL ... HE is a comedian ...so put-up with the first few min. of his foolishness ... but HE ... is a VERY SMART
mechanic ... watch & learn ...

........... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbFyGRixoGA

I'm hoping the INTERNAL governor linkage is NOT the problem ..watch and listen to THIS video very carefully ... Boobala

F

freshcut92

I have watched that video a few times actually. I didn't mess with the internal part but what he was doing around 5:30 is what i did. Maybe there is something wrong with it internally but i don't want to mess with it that much cause right now it runs fine, sometimes idles a little high but its my only mower and i don't wanna mess it up. But if the governor was messed up then it wouldn't bounce around when i choke the engine and play with the throttle lever would it? cause isn't the governor supposed to try and maintain an engine speed? Thanks for your guys help. I know your prolly tired of this guessing game and i guess since it mows my yard fine i may just leave it alone. I have tried your guys suggestions so i don't want you to think i'm just shooting everything down. Like i said i've been searching and tinkering everyday for a week or so before i came here to post hoping someone had a similar problem and found a fix.

Boobala

Boobala

I have watched that video a few times actually. I didn't mess with the internal part but what he was doing around 5:30 is what i did. Maybe there is something wrong with it internally but i don't want to mess with it that much cause right now it runs fine, sometimes idles a little high but its my only mower and i don't wanna mess it up. But if the governor was messed up then it wouldn't bounce around when i choke the engine and play with the throttle lever would it? cause isn't the governor supposed to try and maintain an engine speed? Thanks for your guys help. I know your prolly tired of this guessing game and i guess since it mows my yard fine i may just leave it alone. I have tried your guys suggestions so i don't want you to think i'm just shooting everything down. Like i said i've been searching and tinkering everyday for a week or so before i came here to post hoping someone had a similar problem and found a fix.

Did you replace that long spring on the throttle rod..?? the one video (#2 I think) shows how to install it on the linkage arm ..of course the carb has to be removed for that ...

F

freshcut92

Part will be here today and i will replace it tonight.

Placed spring and still no throttle control. The throttle plate opens and closes just fine when mower is off but when its running it does nothing it's driving me crazy

F

freshcut92

Part will be here today and i will replace it tonight.

Placed spring and still no throttle control. The throttle plate opens and closes just fine when mower is off but when its running it does nothing it's driving me crazy

Full throttle and no throttle engine off lever works and everything moves like it's supposed to.

ForumRunner_20170428_170401.png

ForumRunner_20170428_170338.png

Boobala

Boobala

Full throttle and no throttle engine off lever works and everything moves like it's supposed to.

View attachment 31832

View attachment 31831

Well everything looks good in your pics... so.... I am GUESSING !! the governor linkage is not exactly right ... or the lever
may be loose on the shaft ...OR the worst case scenario is something in the INTERNAL governor control section
took a "dump" ...I honestly can't figure this out without being there ... I will ask another member to help ...Boobala

Boobala

Boobala

Hang in there freshcut .... I called the CALVARY ... MIGHT get some more help soon... Boobala ..:thumbsup:

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

The "cavalry" has arrived. :biggrin:

I think I see the problem, but I'll have to circle it in one of your pictures. And unfortunately, I'm on my Android tablet right now and I can't edit pictures. :rolleyes: I'll be back in the morning. :thumbsup:

F

freshcut92

Hang in there freshcut .... I called the CALVARY ... MIGHT get some more help soon... Boobala ..:thumbsup:

Yea I'm kind of fearing that it's something eternal. When I adjusted the governor I could feel the tap he talks about in the videos when turning left or right. And thanks I hope someone may have some more insight. I try googling how to troubleshoot a governor on my mower.

F

freshcut92

The "cavalry" has arrived. :biggrin:

I think I see the problem, but I'll have to circle it in one of your pictures. And unfortunately, I'm on my Android tablet right now and I can't edit pictures. :rolleyes: I'll be back in the morning. :thumbsup:

Really?! I sure hope so! If you need more angles of the assembly or close ups of something let me know and I'll get more pics.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Really?! I sure hope so! If you need more angles of the assembly or close ups of something let me know and I'll get more pics.

Will do. I might need one more picture, we'll see.

Boobala

Boobala

Will do. I might need one more picture, we'll see.

Thats the GREAT thing about this site ... there's always more than 1 person willing to help ...
thanks for answering the call primer .... maybe we can get things rollin again... Boobala ...:confused2:

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Bend the tab I circled in this picture. Don't bend it too far, start with a little bit at first and then test it. Bend more in increments until the engine gets to 3000 RPM when the lever is at full throttle. Don't bend it past perpendicular with the governor arm.

ForumRunner_20170427_232926.png

NorthBama

NorthBama

sorry I am late too check in my horse came up lame on the charge. I think primer has arrived

P

Pumper54

View attachment 31832

View attachment 31831

One thing I would suggest is that you try to clean some of that stuff off the carb. You might have something physically preventing movement of the throttle linkage. Besides that much stuff on an open carb is an invite to sucking crap into the carb and then you have a whole nother issue. Hopefully you will get it fixed with the suggestion to bend the tab.
Tom

F

freshcut92

Thanks for the suggestions i will try bending the tab and cleaning the junk of the carb. I haven't got the chance since its been storming so i have took the time to finish are bathroom remodel. Once i take care of this i will get back on whether or not it works. Also i was wondering what does bending the tab do? More tension? Cause it is mind boggling to me that the throttle will open and close just find with the motor off but as soon as i start it up i cant freely change the engine speed.

Boobala

Boobala

Thanks for the suggestions i will try bending the tab and cleaning the junk of the carb. I haven't got the chance since its been storming so i have took the time to finish are bathroom remodel. Once i take care of this i will get back on whether or not it works. Also i was wondering what does bending the tab do? More tension? Cause it is mind boggling to me that the throttle will open and close just find with the motor off but as soon as i start it up i cant freely change the engine speed.

Thats why I asked about the Governor settings.. the governor comes INTO EFFECT ONLY when the engine is running.. thats when the internal counterweights spin .....try the spring ... just maybe...!!

F

freshcut92

I tried the spring and i think its working now i may have to adjust it a little more but i no can turn the throttle up and down. Thanks for all your guys help i really appreciate it!!

I

ILENGINE

I am wondering how the spring got out of adjustment to start with. That is something that usually never gets touched the life of the engine,

F

freshcut92

Yea i have no idea unless the person my grandpa bought the mowers from messed with it.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I am going to guess that the spring has lost some of it's springiness and is in need of replacement. The adjustment put more tension on the spring to compensate for this, which is why your throttle is now working.